Yellow weight pouch question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skinsfan1311

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Scott,

I just got my Stiletto, a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, I gave it a trial run in a shallow pool. If the time spent in the pool is any indication of how this bad-boy will perform in the ocean, then I'm in for a real treat...I love the BC,and can't wait to dive it in Cayman next week!!! I do have a question, or two!

I didn't need weights in the pool, (it's only 4 feet deep). I also purchased the yellow weight pockets.

I usually wear around 12lbs and anticipate putting a couple of pounds in the rear, and 4lbs in each of the yellow pouches.
Do the weights stay put in the pouches? (i.e. will one weight slide over the top of another weight?) What's the function of the velcro in the pouch?

I'll give a full review of BC when I return. Thanks!!

Rick

The velcro inside of the pouch is to divide the pouch into smaller compartments to keep the weights from shifting. I haven't found the pouches to be necessary as long as I have weights 3# or larger. The smaller weights (1-2#) might slip through the ripcord, which would make the yellow thingies necessary.

I use the yellow weight pouches with all weights everytime. Less wear and tear on the BC.

I put all weights, hard or soft, in the pouches. For several reasons - it softens the edge of the hardweights against your body. It might make them slide out easier when you have to pull the ripcord. As DM mentioned, the velcro makes it possible to position them front/back in the pouch. Plus my buddy had one of those tubular hard weights slip through his ripcord once when he jumped off a dock, I think it might have been 3lbs. And you bought them, might as well use them.

I also have lead shot that I use to finetune my weighting which was the original reason for getting the pouches, but since the airlines changed Intl' flight luggage weight restrictions to 50#, the shot has been staying home the last couple years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom