YAPPING ABOUT YAP (still) - 2017 TRIP REPORT & PIX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
MRB_3260(LR6).jpg

I spent the month of July in Yap so it only makes sense that it took me a little longer than usual to get the trip report done. Here are the links to that, plus the SmugMug slide show and the manta cleaning station video.

Even if you don't read the report to look at the still images, you GOT to look at the video. It's almost five minutes straight, with the manta about 5-10 feet away getting cleaned. Very special experience for me which I'm very happy to be able to share with you.

TRIP REPORT - Yap 2017 trip report

SMUGMUG SLIDESHOW - YAP 2017 (I was there for a month, so there's a lot of images) - kenkurtis

YOUTUBE VIDEO -

Enjoy!!!

- Ken

MRB_3260(LR6).jpg

I spent the month of July in Yap so it only makes sense that it took me a little longer than usual to get the trip report done. Here are the links to that, plus the SmugMug slide show and the manta cleaning station video.

Even if you don't read the report to look at the still images, you GOT to look at the video. It's almost five minutes straight, with the manta about 5-10 feet away getting cleaned. Very special experience for me which I'm very happy to be able to share with you.

TRIP REPORT - Yap 2017 trip report

SMUGMUG SLIDESHOW - YAP 2017 (I was there for a month, so there's a lot of images) - kenkurtis

YOUTUBE VIDEO -

Enjoy!!!

- Ken

Ken; you always seem to go to the same places as I do, but a few months earlier! We're heading there next April...

Ken; you always seem to go to the same places as I do, but a few months earlier! We're heading there next April...
Are you stalking me or am I stalking you?

Ask for room #308 (in the Ken Kurtis Wing). Best room on the island IMHO.

- Ken

Some great stills...too bad your video was shot from one static position. Apparently some dive ops get very protective of these mantas when scuba diving to pre-set "known" locations where they consistently show-up. Did the dive op restrict you,as to where you could shoot from ?

Apparently some dive ops get very protective of these mantas when scuba diving to pre-set "known" locations where they consistently show-up. Did the dive op restrict you,as to where you could shoot from ?
Let me be clear where I stand on this: I am fully supportive of such restrictions. Generally good for the animals as well as it doesn't chase them away so other guests can enjoy the show too. I've certainly been in situations where a photog was only worried about getting "his" shot if the animals spooked or he damaged the reef, he didn't care. That's not my personal style. That being said . . .

Generally, we don't want people up where I was, even on the side of the cleaning station. I had special dispensation to zip up there when there were no mantas around, plant my GoPro in a static position, start it, and then clear out and just let it run. But as I was setting it up, a manta came cruising in and, rather than me move off and possibly spook it, I chose to remain semi-frozen in position while it got cleaned. That gave me the opportunity, since I was still at the GoPro position, to subtly pan the camera as the manta adjusted back and forth while getting cleaned.

So yes, they do restrict you and have a set of manta interaction rules, I am fully supportive of such, and am thankful they let me operate around the edges of the rules.

- Ken

Yap is headed for some change...coming soon
Not so sure much will happen with the Chinese, let alone anytime soon. They've proposed a 4,000 unit resort. I think I saw somewhere they can accommodate 10,000 people at once. Realize this is an island where there are currently 135 hotel rooms available, they get maybe 4,000 visitors a year, and the entire island-wide population is 11,000 people. Just scaling out 10,000 people a week means upping the current air sked from 2 flights per week to 40. There's simply no infrastructure to handle all of this.

The other thing to remember is that they've looked closely at the Chinese investment in Palau's tourism economy has done. During the building phase, they fly Chinese workers in to do the construction so it doesn't help the local labor force. Once open, they hire Chinese nationals since that;'s who they cater to. And since the properties are fully owned by Chines companies free and clear, the profits all flow back to China. What you find in the end is that you've now got Palau over-run by Chinese tourists (this is not meant as a slap at the Chinese, simply looking at the economics), who come in spend money with the Chinese business, and then go home. Very little of the money spent actually direct benefits Palau. Don't think Yap hasn't noticed.

- Ken

I recently read a story about tourism in Rwanda-- yeah, *that* Rwanda. They have positioned it as "elite" tourism -- fewer tourists, but each one spends more money. (Rwanda is one of the two places in the world where you can see the mountain gorilla.) Botswana also comes to mind. I wish more places (Raja Ampat, Yap) would adopt this approach, which I guess is appropriate when you have small infrastructure and a desirable resource, especially when that resource can be ruined by over-exploitation (Bali comes to mind).

In short, I hope you're right, Ken.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom