Yap trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkLover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
All,

I just got back from Yap yesterday and attached is my report.

Happy Reading!

Dave

SharkLover:
All,

I just got back from Yap yesterday and attached is my report.

Happy Reading!

Dave

Thanks for the report Dave. I'm heading to Yap and Palau in March of 2007 and your report just got me that more excited. We'll be doing a live a board out of Yap on the "Stella Maris" for one week and then a week diving from a resort on Palau. I'm really looking forward to this adventure. If there is any advise you can shoot my way on either Yap and/or Palau, I would appreciate it. You can either post it here or PM me. This is my first trip in that area. Thanks again for posting.

Denny

Nice report. We have been trying to decide between a Truk and Palau trip or Palau and Yap. We have never been to any of these destinations and it will be awhile before making it back. We tend to lean to live-aboards, but as w/Denny any info welcome.

Since you are going via Liveaboard yiour experience might be different. But here are a few pointers on both:

Yap: If you are looking at maximizing Manta time then you are looking at mid/late January to the end of February (Jan-Mar is high tourist season). The winds are also at their lightest on the windward side and it is relatively dry. If you have an off gas free day here then go fishing ($99 per 4 hours includes boat, fishing guide and boat driver)

Not many bugs to worry about. Remember, pricing/tips that this island's minimum wage is $.085 per hour so it is a bit cheaper than Palau.

Palau: Same as Yap weather wise. This island can get Typoons but they are rare in Yap. You will pay a dive tax here but not in Yap.
An off-gas day activitie is Sea Kayaking at Sam's Tour's. They will drop you and your guide off at an island whereby you will do Sea Kayaking thru the islands. This is very different and a great way to see the area.

In general the people (especially in Yap) are very laid back and nice and will cater to your everyneed.

If I think of anything else I will pass it along

Dave

Barracuda2:
Thanks for the report Dave. I'm heading to Yap and Palau in March of 2007 and your report just got me that more excited. We'll be doing a live a board out of Yap on the "Stella Maris" for one week and then a week diving from a resort on Palau. I'm really looking forward to this adventure. If there is any advise you can shoot my way on either Yap and/or Palau, I would appreciate it. You can either post it here or PM me. This is my first trip in that area. Thanks again for posting.

Denny

What resort in Palau?

Barracuda2:

Denny

Barracuda2:
We'll be doing a live a board out of Yap on the "Stella Maris" for one week Denny

Is this a private yacht coming in for the occasion? Just wondering as we do not have liveaboards or private yachts here..

Mike Veitch:
Is this a private yacht coming in for the occasion? Just wondering as we do not have liveaboards or private yachts here..

Mike,
I don't know. I'm hooking up with LDS that's putting this trip together. Last December I went to Chuuk with the same outfit. Outstanding time aboard the Thorfin. I just pay the fee and show up at the airport on departure day and let the "driving" to the Tour operator and trip leader.

And Sharklover, I'm not sure of the name of the resort or dive op we are using out of Palau. When I get home on Mon. I'll check and let you know for any input you may have about them.

Denny

We stayed at Traders Ridge Resort in Yap last year. It's a beautiful, first class resort and the dive boat is right across the street. We loved the diving as well and were able to dive a lot of the same locations you did. Very interesting culture as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom