Yap Pacific Resort vs Manta Ray Bay...thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen Dancheck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Both places have nice reviews. We are going sometime early 2014 for 4 nights before heading to Palau. Just can't decide on where to stay in Yap!

Manta Ray Bay is the gold standard in Yap. I visited Yap Pacific Resort earlier this year while I was staying at MRB (I've been to MRB twice this year) to check it out. It's a nice enough place, though not quite as nice as the pictures on their web site make it appear. Probably 150 steps up the hill between the hotel and dive shop. My wife and I ate lunch at Yap Pacific Resort, it was pretty decent. We went down to the dive shop while all the guides/drivers were still there. Not one of them so much as said "hello". I would say if you're going there to dive, MRB is the clear choice. If you're not diving, just going to hang around the pool etc., then Yap Pacific Resort wouldn't be a bad choice.

We stayed at Yap Pacific Resort because the food was supposedly better according to Scubaboard. There were very few guests at Yap Pacific Resort - we were the only divers. They take your gear to the dive shop and you don't have to handle it until your diving is over. Just walk down the few steps and get on the boat. They take you gear back to the hotel when you're done with the diving.

We visited Manta Ray Bay and it was crowded. We didn't eat at Manta Ray Bay, but the food was very good at Yap Pacific Resort.

I've been to Yap over 70 times over the years and have watched the development of the two hotels. I've also stayed at both places but it was a few years ago at Yap Pacific. Both are priced similarly and both will take you to the same destinations. The difference is that Manta Ray Bay was and continues to be totally designed for divers, and from the minute you walk in there the "feel" (should have said ambience) of the place begins to take you over.

The rooms are big and comfortable, the showers are big enough to put a bed in, it's a very short walk (1 min) to the dive locker, photo equipment tables, lobby, no horizon pool, and the best damned restaurant/bar in Micronesia..the Mnuw.

The crew handles everything and your gear is set up on the boats, water, tea, and snacks between dives, and when you return it's about 30 ft to the five rinse tanks and drying areas. Oh yeah, they'll take your gear off the boat to the rinse areas also.

The staff is not "plasticized" and when they say hello they really mean it. That's the overall feeling you get there every day.

:)I could go on and on but then it would become a commercial. To see what I mean watch this. I did it for a group I took there in 2012. Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom