Yamaha scooter advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure what the Yamaha scooters cost, but...
The Suex 7 Seven is really cheap for what it does and is a pretty sweet rec level scooter, might be worth looking into.
If you can find a used one reasonably priced you will get a lot of bang for the buck, i paid the equivalent of roughly 1k USD for mine used and it was in mint condition.
~1h runtime at max speed (200ish feet per minute).

57lbs is the official figure at full speed. But for all the figures quoted on the website and the graphs, these are the average thrusts at those speeds, not the peak. If you click up to speed 8 on a Blacktip, for the first few min you are going to see way more thrust than 57 lbs. More like the 63lbs that Peter quoted.

I don't think boost mode only being 7 min long is going to affect many people. As those of you that have bigger scooters like the CUDA or XK etc, running at the higher speeds is not something you do for long.

I’m looking at the Yamaha 500 Li as well. What I want it for is long surf swims. I want it to propel me on the surface to the buoy at about 600 meters from shore and then tie it off under the water. Don’t really need it for the dive itself just the to and from shore. Any thoughts on the subject? Will the Yamaha SeaWing do for this?

I've recently looked at the 500 Li for hauling out to the reef. It seems like a good DPV option.

Isn't the 500Li appx $1500?

If so, the DiveX Blacktip seems to be a MUCH better choice.

$1,595 on amazon. Thats what I paid for mine
BlackTip-Comparison-2020.01.09-1.png

@ 150fpm the blacktip will do two hours. The Yami 500Li will do less than 30 minutes. That would be barely worth owning. The blacktip would be 1500 plus batteries but the street price is less.

I got DPV certified on a Seadoo a number of years ago, and wanted a scooter ever since. Nothing ever matched my price vs. capabilities criteria until the Blacktip came along. The Seadoo is a toy by comparison. I've been diving Suex and Subgravity scooters for a while now (not mine, used for underwater cleanups), and my Blacktip comes awfully close in terms of capabilities for many thousands less (yes, I bought a Blacktip earlier this year). When you factor in the cost of batteries, the Blacktip is a total no-brainer. It can easily tow multiple divers for over an hour, but is light enough for So Cal beach dives. I forgot to charge my batteries before my previous outing, so came back with a bit over half battery from a long shore dive this past weekend. Blacktip build quality is much better than the Seadoo. Dive-Xtras figured out where to cut corners and where to provide value for the Blacktip, and some of its features, like the battery display and speed display, aren't even standard on their higher end Piranha

Blacktip retails for $1,500, batteries and charger not included. But when you need additional or replacement batteries, the Blacktip will be a real value champ compared to just about any other DPV out there

Based on my experience so far, Dive-X's specs are conservative

Pulled the trigger on a Blacktip this morning. Anyone have a recommendation on best bang for the buck on batteries and charger?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom