YaGWST: Yet another Guadalupe White Shark Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spt29970

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi All,
I just got back from a Guadalupe White shark trip aboard the Nautilus Explorer. This is my second time out to Guadalupe, and this time we went late in the season when the big females show up. It is hard to estimate size underwater, but these girls were a good 17-18ft long! They made the males look positively diminutive.

They are magnificent animals and incredibly photogenic. As many people have pointed out they interested in the divers, but clearly not as prey. However, it is funny what they are interested in. One day I was standing on the back deck getting my wetsuit on while we had a strong wind blowing. One woman lost her glove to the wind and it blew into the water about 10 feet behind the boat. We were joking with the boat crew about swimming out to get the glove (to which they politely declined). At that moment, a giant white shark blasted out of the water and nailed the glove. The divers in the cages got great video of the shark chewing on the glove like it was a piece of chewing gum. The point is that like most wild animals, they can be unpredictable. Most of the time they were just cruising around checking us out. Just when you convince yourself that they are sedate steady swimmers, something small, like a glove floating on the water, can switch them to attack mode. It was truly impressive and humbling. Here are a few photos. It is hard to capture the size and scale of these animals. Enjoy.

Spectacular Sunrays on a Spectacular Shark by - drsteve -, on Flickr

Swim with the big fish by - drsteve -, on Flickr

Sharks like sashimi. Who knew? by - drsteve -, on Flickr

There are more at gallery at
Isla Guadalupe 2010 - a set on Flickr

Beautiful; glad you had a great time. I'd like to do that someday.

The glove thing is a bit spooky in that it reminds me 'little things' could set one off. And the shark gets to decide!

Richard.

Great photos and unique experience.

I think the divers on the platform give a good indication of the size of that "lady shark" swimming around :D

Superb, Steve. I've cage dived in South Africa (see avatar), but that water quality is fantastic.

Best start saving up...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom