Y valve vs H valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that if ever I got to the point where there was no possible way I could reach valves on a back-mounted cylinder, I would simply "belly mount" the cylinder--you know, diagonal-ish, across the front of my torso. Narrow (e.g., 5.5", 6", or 6.5" OD) cylinder. Maybe, rigged with double-D-ring quick-releases top and bottom (so that it could be quickly jettisoned). Has the additional benefit of very short hoses!

Careful to keep my teeth when I giant-stride or back-roll in.

(For thick wetsuits, I'll be glad I've held on to my Scubapro Stab Jacket BCD!)

I know, I know. Some of us here are thinking: No agency teaches that!

rx7diver
LOL

I think that if ever I got to the point where there was no possible way I could reach valves on a back-mounted cylinder, I would simply "belly mount" the cylinder--you know, diagonal-ish, across the front of my torso. Narrow (e.g., 5.5", 6", or 6.5" OD) cylinder. Maybe, rigged with double-D-ring quick-releases top and bottom (so that it could be quickly jettisoned). Has the additional benefit of very short hoses!

Careful to keep my teeth when I giant-stride or back-roll in.

(For thick wetsuits, I'll be glad I've held on to my Scubapro Stab Jacket BCD!)

I know, I know. Some of us here are thinking: No agency teaches that!

ETA: Others are thinking: New C-Card!

rx7diver
Maybe a distinctive specialty!
"French baguette front crossed diver" perhaps

I sketched the attached pic a little while ago while I was waiting for my program to finish running so I could leave work. I guess this means that I have selected my next scuba rig to assemble and play around with!

I have a third long-neglected OMS/Faber LP 46 (5.5" OD, 46 cu ft @ 2,400 + 10%) that should work well enough, initially, for this--which means I won't have to break apart the baby doubles I set up to use with my double-hose reg.

Yes, the diver is wearing a snorkel and a weightbelt (and maybe a BFK on his calf!). And yes, he is breathing a Scubapro Mk 10 + Balanced Adjustable. Essentially, he is a skindiver who has donned a belly tank. Note the SPG on a very short HP hose.

Anyone know where I can source one of those safety harnesses that PSD divers wear?

rx7diver

Belly_Mount_Concept_20210827.jpg

I sketched the attached pic a little while ago while I was waiting for my program to finish running so I could leave work. I guess this means that I have selected my next scuba rig to assemble and play around with!

I have a third long-neglected OMS/Faber LP 46 (5.5" OD, 46 cu ft @ 2,400 + 10%) that should work well enough, initially, for this--which means I won't have to break apart the baby doubles I set up to use with my double-hose reg.

Yes, the diver is wearing a snorkel and a weightbelt (and maybe a BFK on his calf!). And yes, he is breathing a Scubapro Mk 10 + Balanced Adjustable. Essentially, he is a skindiver who has donned a belly tank. Note the SPG on a very short HP hose.

Anyone know where I can source one of those safety harnesses that PSD divers wear?

rx7diver

View attachment 679115
Maybe on divers supply inc you may find it! Or another comercial gear supplyer

rx7diver

View attachment 679115

Pretty sure zeagle makes something like this already.

Pretty sure zeagle makes something like this already.

Thanks, @medic505 . I just googled and found Zeagle's "Code 3 BCD with Razor II" ($1259.55 MSRP) rig. What I have in mind will use standard stuff (nothing proprietary), and can probably be assembled for less than a couple hundred dollars (since I already own the scuba bits).

The additional costs will be for the PSD safety harness (my former tech instructor used to have his students wear these for the ice diving class he taught), for having a couple of pieces of seat belt webbing sewn with double D-rings, and for having a couple of custom-length hoses built.

If I need a BCD, I'll simply use my SSJ.

Should be simple, slick, and safe.

All I require at this time is, um, time to do this!

rx7diver

Is it something like this ...

@James79 ,

Maybe. I never got a good, close look. I'm googling now. I think I will recognize it when I see it, though--if it is still available. My sense is, the ones he used were of a very simple webbing design, with leg loops and rivets and very few buckles/hardware. He trained PSD's in SE MI, so I assume his were OSHA (or whatever appropriate agency) approved.

For his ice diving class, these were donned first, over the exposure suit (drysuit), and they fit relatively tightly/closely. Scuba went on over. The tether was secured to the PSD harness. A surface tender, pulling on the tether, could not inadvertently separate the harness and the diver. (He explained all this to me once.)

Thanks,

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom