Xtx50 vs legend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Psode27

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey I know this has probably been covered, but I just can't seem to find a great thread about the two. I am a new diver (pool stuff is done, first real dives next week!!!!!!!) and looking to buy some equipment! I have a BCD (AL Dimension) and computer (suunto vyper air) picked out, however I have a really "difficult" choice between the xtx50 and the legend (base model). I tried both in the pool and found no difference really. I learned the flexible hose is wonderful on the legend, so I know if I go the route of the xtx50 I will be adding one ASAP! I like the looks of both, and It seems more opt for the xtx's when doing anything tech. I don't think I can go wrong either way, and price is I think 10$ difference maybe, but would just like another opinion.... It's getting pricey, I would like to re-buy as little as possible down the road! My LDS has been great, I can't say enough about them so far, but they are admittedly legend fanboys. Only concern with the xtx is the pretty small purge button, does that bother anyone? Thanks for the help!

As you already know there's not much difference between them.....especially the 2nd stages as the Legend and LX are an Apeks design anyway.
I'd personally go with the Apeks as it has the cracking pressure knob, environmentally sealed 1st stage and better hose routing (for me).
Parts are more expensive here in the US than the UK for the Apeks.

I had to make the same decision last year and went with the ds4/xtx-50. A few weeks ago I switched out to a legend for teaching but still use the apeks regs for tech dives. My computer is a Helo2 integrated and my sac rates were the same. Also you will save about 100 with getting the Apeks. Internally they are the same in fact Apeks was bought so Aqualung could use the xtx200 housing for there legends. Happy Diving and hope this helped!

At my LDS both regs are within very close in price. The apex is about 40$ cheaper and I plan to put the flex hose on it that the legend has stock. After that the prices are pretty much the same. I was going to try and negotiate a bit on price though I realize MAP prices kinda kill a negotiation. An I getting raped if I pay the same (or close to) for an xtx50 as I would a legend? I know the question is kinda dumb but I am on the expensive side of "buy the best you can afford" already. Just want to make sure everything has been well thought out! Thanks for the replies!

With regs "by the best you can afford" philosophy does not seem to work. The reg I paid the most is not the best for me :) I would not use that rule for the regs.

I still am using my DS4/ATX50 after 5 years and it works as well as pretty much anything else out there.
However, you could also check out the Scubapro Mk17/600 or 250 as well.

I've moved onto the Legend LX cus I got a great deal on them otherwise, I'll happily use the XTX50/DS4.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom