XTX50 on FDX10 First Stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O.M.O.H.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
(i did try to search this but couldn't quite come up with an exact explanation)

Here is my question: I currently have an Oceanic Delta 4 regulator with FDX10 first stage. I am thinking of getting an Apex XTX50 second stage installed on my FDX10 first stage. XTX50 will be my primary on a 7ft hose and Delta 4 will go to the 22" hose. Right now my Delta 4 is the 7ft hose and for backup i am using Alpha 8 octo on a necklace and a 22" hose.

My, somewhat limited, knowledge of regulator mechanics is telling me that this sort of combination will not pose any problems, given both XTX50 and Oceanic are properly tuned. Can someone confirm this for me or provide some pros and cons.

I know that Poseidon Extreme second works like a charm on my FDX10 (after about 10 min of adjustment made by my tech).

Also for all who know / have experience with Apex, what is the difference between XTX50 regulator and XTX50 octopus? Except the yellow cover of course?

Thanks!

It'll work just fine, you might need the XTX50 second stage adjusted after install, but there won't be a problem.

Jim

Also for all who know / have experience with Apex, what is the difference between XTX50 regulator and XTX50 octopus? Except the yellow cover of course?

I'm not an Apeks expert, but I'm pretty certain the answer is nothing is different between the octo and the standard version. It may be slightly detuned from the factory, but it'll have to be adjusted when you hook it up to the Oceanic first stage anyway, so you can tune it for max performance.

Just out of curiosity, how come you're choosing the Apeks as primary over the Delta IV?

I'm not an Apeks expert, but I'm pretty certain the answer is nothing is different between the octo and the standard version. It may be slightly detuned from the factory, but it'll have to be adjusted when you hook it up to the Oceanic first stage anyway, so you can tune it for max performance.
Thanks! Someone said something about the materials used in an octopus being different.. is it the case? As far as i was able to research this, the price difference between the XTX50 octo and the "reg - proper" is like 5 bucks or something. It is just,aparently, in the US Apex does not sell second stages separate from firsts. So to do this "price comparison" between the octo and the reg i looked at some overseas sources. If you wanted Apex 2nd stage separate you'd have to get it as an octo.

Just out of curiosity, how come you're choosing the Apeks as primary over the Delta IV?
Well, the short answer is I've had the FDX10 regulator for a while now and very satisfied with it... now also given that its a new NOAA reg, i am calling it a "keeper".
I will get a DS4 (or similar) first stage next year when i am ready to start learning how to dive doubles.

Did this make any sense? :D

Thanks! Someone said something about the materials used in an octopus being different.. is it the case? As far as i was able to research this, the price difference between the XTX50 octo and the "reg - proper" is like 5 bucks or something. It is just,aparently, in the US Apex does not sell second stages separate from firsts. So to do this "price comparison" between the octo and the reg i looked at some overseas sources. If you wanted Apex 2nd stage separate you'd have to get it as an octo.

Well, the short answer is I've had the FDX10 regulator for a while now and very satisfied with it... now also given that its a new NOAA reg, i am calling it a "keeper".
I will get a DS4 (or similar) first stage next year when i am ready to start learning how to dive doubles.

Did this make any sense? :D

There are some manufacturers who make octos that really aren't meant to be full time regs, but a lot of the high end stuff is the exact same reg, just detuned. I know Zeagle's octos are identical to the regular second stage, I know the Alpha 8 octo is just a yellow Alpha 8.

Just a thought here, but since you like your Delta and it is a good reg, why look at the Apeks for when you go to doubles? If it were me, I'd probably just buy another Delta 4 and have a matched set of backgas regs on my doubles. Don't get me wrong, Apeks are great, but the Delta 4 is already there.

Jim

There are some manufacturers who make octos that really aren't meant to be full time regs, but a lot of the high end stuff is the exact same reg, just detuned. I know Zeagle's octos are identical to the regular second stage, I know the Alpha 8 octo is just a yellow Alpha 8.

Just a thought here, but since you like your Delta and it is a good reg, why look at the Apeks for when you go to doubles? If it were me, I'd probably just buy another Delta 4 and have a matched set of backgas regs on my doubles. Don't get me wrong, Apeks are great, but the Delta 4 is already there.

Jim
Thanks a lot. It does make sense all of the sudden. Really..:wink:

The octopus isn't and should not be used as a regulator. It doesn't have the same robustness.

Can you please explain?
I always thought the xtx50 octi just used a diffrent cover. I never thought Apeks would go to all the cost and trouble of making a less robust 2nd stage just to sell as an octi.
Detuned maybe but thats not an issue.

The octopus isn't and should not be used as a regulator. It doesn't have the same robustness.

When I purchased my reg set from the LDS (before the XTX series was introduced), I actually bought 2 atx50 "octo" second stages. The trouble was that I wanted ATX50 second stages with a DS4 first, and that wasn't one of the regular Apeks/Aqualung packages. It ended up being significantly cheaper to order the octos and swap out the yellow cover with a black one than to order the second stages as primaries.

Anyway, the point that I was getting to was that the ATX50 octo seconds are just as robust as the primary seconds, just with a bit of yellow plastic. I would expect the same of the XTX50. They may be detuned, but you're getting your reg tuned when you buy it anyhow.

Funny... we cannot purchase DS4 with an XTX50 combo in Canada - they offer DST's and XTX50's only for some reason; however, they managed to order a DS4 and the XTX50's all individually and it still came out to the same price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom