XTX Tungsten

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi fellow Scuba Board members,

I am a diver who greatly enjoys this sport and is opting for going into technical diving. As such, having only one regulator, a Legend I use to carry on with my dives as a DM, is not enough. I would like to buy a second regulator to start up with my advance nitrox course and would like some opinions on a regulator: XTX 200 Tungsten.

Firstly, let me mention that I am the kind of diver that likes having the best equipment out there. Also, where I live we only have DS that service Tusa, Aqualung/Apeks and ScubaPro. I work at the DS that is a Dealer for Aqualung/Apeks, so it is natural I have a preference for these two brands. I may get equipment at a better price and get maintenance. (even though in the future I would love to service my own equipment)

Besides all that, what is the general opinion for the Tungsten among technical divers? Do most technical divers prefer the XTX 100 or 200? For what reasons?

My plan is to use my Tungsten as primary and my Legend as secondary on my twin bottles, and in the future get myself a Tek 3 combo for the stages, etc... What do you guys think of this?

Thanks for all the help and I appreciate honest opinions!

Get 2 XTX 50's with DS4's (or FSR's if you are feeling flush) for the doubles.
2 XTX 50's with DST's for stage/deco.
Keep the others for your single tank dives.

I am a diver who greatly enjoys this sport and is opting for going into technical diving. As such, having only one regulator, a Legend I use to carry on with my dives as a DM, is not enough. I would like to buy a second regulator to start up with my advance nitrox course and would like some opinions on a regulator: XTX 200 Tungsten.
The XTX 200 Tungsten is a fine regulator. No question about it, the reg will breath well at depth, is durable, tolerates cold water, etc. It certainly qualifies for your self-description of preferring 'the best equipment out there'. In addition, Apeks regulators are generally highly regarded, and frequently seen on the tanks of technical divers. That doesn't mean that other regs are not also popular, or that other regs are not just as 'high performance'.

Two comments:

1. Personally, I am simply not sure what additional value is accrued for the extra money you will spend on the 'Tungsten' variant of the XTX 200 (and, yes, I now what Apeks says are the differences). Perhaps, some other diver can enlighten you (and me), but I don't see it. I would not spend an extra 12-15% for the XTX Tungsten, if I was interested in an XTX 200. I just don't get it.
2. You ask a question about preferences for the 100 vs the 200. That is a tough one to answer. I suspect any preferences are primarily a matter of subjective perception. For several years, I dove a pair of ATX 200s (which I absolutely LOVED), while a technical dive buddy (who was my original tech instructor, as well as the owner of the LDS where I teach) dove a pair of ATX 100s. I bought the 200s because they were on (close-out) sale, at the time Apeks changed from the ATX to XTX models. We periodically swapped gear and I could not really tell a big difference between the 100s and the 200s, nor could he. On a dive trip in 2010, our gear was stolen, and we both ended up replacing our stolen regs with Apeks Tec 3s. I honestly cannot tell any difference between my 200s and the Tec 3s, in the depths I dive (down to 240'). Maybe, deeper would be revealing, but I don't have that experience. For that matter, I can't tell you that I wouldn't get the same performance from a set of XTX 50s. However, I have subsequently bought a used ATX 200, and a used ATX 100, to build up as a set of back-up backgas regulators. Label me 'irrationally biased' if you wish.
My plan is to use my Tungsten as primary and my Legend as secondary on my twin bottles, and in the future get myself a Tek 3 combo for the stages, etc... What do you guys think of this?
If I understand you correctly, you propose to put your XTX 200 Tungsten on your right post, your Legend on your left post. OK, no problem with that. While I personally like to have the same regs on both sides (for serviceability as much as anything), plenty of divers use what they have when they build their first tech rig, and your plan is a reasonable start. If I were in your position, and then bought a pair of Tec 3s, I sure wouldn't put them on my stage / deco bottles. I would make them my backgas regs, and put the non-identical units on my deco bottles. Maybe, that is just me.

Bottom line. I would buy a XTX 200. I wouldn't buy a XTX 200 Tungsten.

1. Don't buy anything until you can access "key man" discounts. This happens only after you are working as a DM or instructor for a shop that sells the gear you want to buy.
  2. Just buy another Legend. It's going to perform the same as any of the Apeks regs. Alternatively, you can choose to sell your Legend and just purchase Apeks regs from this point on. Standardizing your regs will simplify servicing.

I am not a tech diver, but I do own one Aqualung Legend reg and two Apeks regs (ATX100/50 with FST, XTX200/50 with FSR). I tune them all to breathe identically.

Don't get the Tungsten. It's not worth the extra money.
Among the various Apeks first stages, there are small differences with respect to the position of low pressure ports, which can affect hose-routing. The 5th port upgrade is a nice modification to the DST first stage that can improve hose-routing with doubles.
There are only cosmetic differences among the Apeks second stages XTX50 vs. XTX100 vs. XTX200. Internally, they are all the same.

Agree completely.
1. Tungsten would not improve the preformance of the reg.
2. XTX 50 is as good as the 100 and the 200. I really can't tell the difference under water.
3. Buy another Legend or sell it and replace with a pair of Apeks.
4. The 5th port on the DST is good for the lp hose but some divers do not like the turret.
5. ATX models are as good as the XTX but you probably would not buy old and used equipment.
6. If you can service Apeks regs then you might consider Hog or Hollis. But then you might not like the idea of copy.
7. Read the thread by Tortuga 68 on Apeks regs.
8. You can't go wrong with Apeks!

Back
Top Bottom