XTi (400D) housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jason8612

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to get a housing of sorts for my XTi. I'm on a tight budget and was looking at some 2nd hand ones, but since there is really none of those, I might have to settle buying a new one.
Price range, Fantasea is great, but I don't know the quality of that to the Ikelite. On B&H, a Fantasea + full strobe kit + port is about $1300. Ikelite housing alone is about $1400. I don't know how good the strobe is on the Fantasea set is, but basically I got my Canon with stock lens and thats it going into this. No external flash, nothing. Down the road, I might plan to upgrade something, so that option is open. I don't know if its good just to go with the Fantasea set, or Fantasea housing + port and going with a better strobe and later down the line upgrade to the Ikelite housing... What would you recommend and what other accessories?

From what I was able to read on a few reviews the fantasea F400D is a great housing for the cost and sturdy. The thing is, the flash nano won't really go well with that camera. From what I read the housing has a ttl plug, so I would need to invest in a entry level ttl strobe, which from what I take it is a external strobe, where one part goes to the top of my camera and connects by wire to the underwater strobe?

Would the ikelite substrobe 150 worrk with either the fantasea f400d or the ikelite housing?

I'm looking to get a housing of sorts for my XTi. I'm on a tight budget and was looking at some 2nd hand ones, but since there is really none of those, I might have to settle buying a new one.
Price range, Fantasea is great, but I don't know the quality of that to the Ikelite. On B&H, a Fantasea + full strobe kit + port is about $1300. Ikelite housing alone is about $1400. I don't know how good the strobe is on the Fantasea set is, but basically I got my Canon with stock lens and thats it going into this. No external flash, nothing. Down the road, I might plan to upgrade something, so that option is open. I don't know if its good just to go with the Fantasea set, or Fantasea housing + port and going with a better strobe and later down the line upgrade to the Ikelite housing... What would you recommend and what other accessories?

I have the Ikelite housing & I really like it! Sorry - don't know much about the Fantasea, but I do know the Ikelite is very well made, I like how it's clear, so you can see everything inside - having flooded a camera before, I know this can mean the difference between saving your camera or not. I always keep an eye on it during decent. The Ikelite is also very versatile - with many different lens ports.

Whichever one you decide on, I would recommend you keep in mind a possible lens upgrade in the future... a better lens makes a huge difference in picture quality!

Margo
Margo Cavis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom