XTAR D36 5800 for tech diving/photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisMBC

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for a pair of lights to fit my current and future needs, and wondering if the XTAR D36 5800 will be up to the task.

Currently, I am doing recreational shore diving in the dark, murky PNW (~10ish dives a month), taking my camera on most dives, using a Sola S/F 2500 as a primary light and photography light. It works, but I think having a second light would do wonders for improving the photos and especially videos.

In the next couple months, I have my GUE Fundies course booked, and I'm hoping to go down a more technical diving path in the near future. So, I need a light that will work for future tech diving (which is likely to be more wrecks/deep dives than caves, based on where I live).

So, I'm thinking of buying a pair of XTAR D36 5800s to serve my current and hopefully future needs. Based on the reviews I've read on Scubaboard, it seems like the flood mode would work well for photos/videos, and the spot mode would work for tech diving. With the addition of a Goodman handle, I would think that the pair of them would give me a great option for primary light + backup (I have other simple lights to work as backup as well).

The only other option I'm really looking at is getting a second Sola 2500 S/F and rigging Goodman handles for them (~$500 for a second Sola). However, while I like the Sola, the runtime isn't enough for multi-dive days or longer technical dives, so I'm not really loving that route. Ideally, I don't want to burn another $1000+ on a dedicated canister light just yet, if I can get away with something more multipurpose.

Any suggestions/thoughts on this idea, or other light options I should consider?

I'm looking for a pair of lights to fit my current and future needs, and wondering if the XTAR D36 5800 will be up to the task.

Currently, I am doing recreational shore diving in the dark, murky PNW (~10ish dives a month), taking my camera on most dives, using a Sola S/F 2500 as a primary light and photography light. It works, but I think having a second light would do wonders for improving the photos and especially videos.

In the next couple months, I have my GUE Fundies course booked, and I'm hoping to go down a more technical diving path in the near future. So, I need a light that will work for future tech diving (which is likely to be more wrecks/deep dives than caves, based on where I live).

So, I'm thinking of buying a pair of XTAR D36 5800s to serve my current and hopefully future needs. Based on the reviews I've read on Scubaboard, it seems like the flood mode would work well for photos/videos, and the spot mode would work for tech diving. With the addition of a Goodman handle, I would think that the pair of them would give me a great option for primary light + backup (I have other simple lights to work as backup as well).

The only other option I'm really looking at is getting a second Sola 2500 S/F and rigging Goodman handles for them (~$500 for a second Sola). However, while I like the Sola, the runtime isn't enough for multi-dive days or longer technical dives, so I'm not really loving that route. Ideally, I don't want to burn another $1000+ on a dedicated canister light just yet, if I can get away with something more multipurpose.

Any suggestions/thoughts on this idea, or other light options I should consider?
The yearly Light+Motion sale brings the Solas down to ~$250, or at least did last year. It’s not a long term solution. I have used a pair as primaries for intro-level dives and on light wreck trips abroad.

Would strongly recommend finding a can light. A UWLD G5 Tall popped up for $500 on CDF yesterday, a LM 15/32 for $600?ish last week, and a few others. LM or Salvo 21W HID can be had cheaper and even with a full battery replacement can be had for sub $500 if you’re patient.

I'd recommend checking with the instructor with regards to the applicability of the lights you're considering. I believe it won't matter much with getting a Rec pass as light handling skills aren't evaluated, but likely demonstrated to you. If you're planning for the future, then the Tech pass requires a primary and two backups and light handling skills.

The backup lights are specified in the GUE SOPs as "should be powered by alkaline batteries" so you might not be able to use either Sola or XTAR for backup use if the instructor is strict on this.

In practical use, there are a couple of considerations: (1) The backups need to clip to the harness via tail boltsnap to the D-ring and rubber band around the head. I don't know how well the XTARs and Solas will be secured to the harness, as they are bulkier than a typical backup light. (2) The location and type of on/off switches on the "fancier" lights can sometimes mean they get turned on inadvertently without your knowing it, which is why I like the basic twist on/off mechanisms best. (3) I feel much better with alkalines and their lower maintenance requirements even if rechargeables are permitted for backup.

Whichever primary light you're considering should be fine with a Goodman handle and ability to add a temporary clip-off location in the back of the light. The XTAR looks like it would work better than the Sola in this regard. Personally, I prefer the security of not losing a corded light into the depths due to lots of clipping off and on required when switching gases, etc. :)

I dive with the standard GUE Tech doubles config with corded light and two backups (Halcyon Focus 2.0 and Scouts). I do use a Sola S/F on my camera rig as the primary light with the Focus clipped away, and would consider adding a second Sola for lighting. The Scouts are the 2- and 3- 'C' cell version and tuck up nicely against the harness and stay put. There are many non-rechargeable lights in the $100-$200 range that would also be good backup light options.

The backup lights are specified in the GUE SOPs as "should be powered by alkaline batteries"
Ancient, outdated, obsolete thinking.

The lights you use for passing the course and the lights you use to dive afterwards need not be the same.

Ancient, outdated, obsolete thinking.

The lights you use for passing the course and the lights you use to dive afterwards need not be the same.

I have some twist-on, single-18650-powered backup lights that I have clipped off and secured on my harness in the DIR style. Haven't been explicitly told by my instructor that they have to be alkaline (though I know it's in the GUE standards)

I have some twist-on, single-18650-powered backup lights that I have clipped off and secured on my harness in the DIR style. Haven't been explicitly told by my instructor that they have to be alkaline (though I know it's in the GUE standards)
Many 1x18650 lights will also function with a 3xAAA alkaline insert. https://smile.amazon.com/Cafurty-Plastic-Battery-Adapter-Flashlight/dp/B010EZYTT8?ref_=ast_sto_dp
413vlPU42bL._AC_.jpg

The yearly Light+Motion sale brings the Solas down to ~$250, or at least did last year. It’s not a long term solution. I have used a pair as primaries for intro-level dives and on light wreck trips abroad.

Would strongly recommend finding a can light. A UWLD G5 Tall popped up for $500 on CDF yesterday, a LM 15/32 for $600?ish last week, and a few others. LM or Salvo 21W HID can be had cheaper and even with a full battery replacement can be had for sub $500 if you’re patient.

Whats CDF?

I own a D36 5800 given to me by an awesome member of SB. It was sent to him to review and he didn't really prefer it so passed it on.

It's a good video light, the flood is pretty bright, but it is darn heavy for a light. It uses a proprietary battery, so if you were to want an extra you'd have to pay a premium (I think I was quoted $50 each). I believe it's just 3 18650 inside a special housing). It takes FOREVER to charge, like 3 hrs. It has two "lights" built into it, the other being the same LED that's in the D26 1600, which if I was just using the spot, would only be good for a backup light, not a primary (at least I think. I'm not cert GUE / cave / cavern, whatever).

Its nice that it tells you the runtime left in minutes. I wish it was a little more streamlined for an OW recreational light that I use it for. I think the Sola 2500 is a nicer light overall as far as how it mounts to a goodman handle (a buddy has one and it looks more streamlined and is just as bright if not brighter than the 5800). I believe the controls are a little easier to manipulate underwater as well. To be honest, I don't usually use the 5800 on super bright, so it does last at least 2 dives on one battery charge.

From what I have gathered, flood lights work well for videos, not so much for photos. For photos you'll want a strobe (again, outside of my experience).

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom