Xtar D01 Review. 100m waterproof dive light w/ an electrodeless magnetic switch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonzoTheGreat

Contributor
Reaction score
welcome to scubaboard.

light is a nice size. am i reading it correctly that it is 350 lumens?

also, the language isn't so clear to me (forgive my ignorance). at $62.99 how many batteries does it come with? are the batteries rechargeable? and is the charger included?

is there a handle for it (goodman style) that can be placed over the hand for "hands-free" use?

does the hole that the lanyard is tied to fit wreck line, zip-ties, or o-rings for attaching a bolt-snap?

is this a fixed beam or adjustable?

is shipping included? (i see your current shipping is for a "limited time")

is there a better offer if two are purchased?

is the hole for tying the lanyard to "cut" at 90 degree edges or beveled so it doesn't "rip" the o-ring, wreck-line, or zipties we will be using to attach our bolt snaps?

100meters is quite a nice depth to be tested to, what kind of warranty is offered? (hopefully lifetime right?)

are you using a double or triple o-ring system for locking out the moisture?

i can give you my address if you would like to send me two of these to run tests on here in the northeast. i can than post my "reflections'" on how it preforms so that other board members have a sense of comfort. please let me know.

im assuming you understand why i mentioned 2 rather than one ...

have you done side by side comparisons with some of the competition?

i am currently using the penetrater 220 as my primary and secondary backup lights.
to be quite frank, i appreciate dorcy's design allowing us to use either 2 or 6 AAA cell batteries which are readily available wherever we take our gear on vacation. the fact that they eliminate the switch as a point of failure is another bonus. they also failed with their first run as a penetrater 180 in their "hole" cut being the 90 degree i mentioned earlier which lead to many divers losing their lights after it literally cut through its tying mechanism. when they released the 220, it was improved and now beveled. the price is actually $15 less than what you are offering here and long term, the batteries are much less expensive.

HOG has also recently released a light that "LOOKS" (and i hate using that term since it truly proves very little) similar to yours but is claimed to be only 240 lumens. however, the HOG light is intelligently offered in a AAA cell model OR a rechargeable model. it is diver designed and although does have a magnetic switch, their switch specifically offers an SOS setting which strobes the light in times of need. (although a point of failure, it serves a specific purpose other than simple on/off). it also has a nice large hole for tying off the bolt snap and has goodman (hands free) handles available (as does the penetrater). there is also a knurled handle for better grip (rather than smooth). they are about $12 more expensive than yours but it seems if yours don't come with batteries, they are actually less expensive. the penetrater and hog BOTH come with wreck line to tie to a bolt snap.

please shed some light on these points and as mentioned earlier, i'd love to test them and report on said tests. (and NOT asking for free lights, i'd be happy to send them back after reporting)

and finally, on your website, you have a "search" option. when i typed the word "dive" no items were found. i also tried the word "scuba" still nothing. you may want to have that updated (just trying to help).

if you are wondering why i spent so much time on this post, it should be obvious that i think this is the start to what could be an excellent product in the near future and a benefit to all of us with some minor adjustments. i am sincere in my points and hope to not receive an answer back saying "we are just the dealer and have little to do with the design and engineering behind the product."

thank you

Hey Ronzothegreat I appreciate the time you took to write out the question and feedback. I'll try my best to answer your questions, I'll probably be able to answer more with the unit in hand (within a few days).

The light was tested with an integrating sphere to have an instant reading of 350 lumens dropping to 320 lumens after warming up.

There are no batteries or charger included but I will put up the option to add an 18700 lithium ion and lithium ion charger. Both should be $10 each. Rechargeable lithium ions are often cheaper in the long run.

I spoke with Xtar about a hands free handle and they are asking for a large minimum order. If there is enough interest from forum members this can be done.

N/A

The beam is fixed

Shipping is 1 penny, we are planning to keep this offer for a while

I usually offer discounts if 5 or more are purchased of any light.

N/A

I can't guarantee lifetime warranty since you don't know where the company will be in 50 years but I stand by my products and will offer a replacement of lights do flood.

N/A

Yea I was thinking of giving a few units out to established forum members for testing. That shouldn't be a problem.

N/A

What I noticed on the HOG rechargeable 240 lumen back up model is that they don't state the information of the emitter. What brand and other specs.

One of the Oxycheq light socks should work well for that. May be the universal one. That light looks pretty nice! Can you post pics of it opened up?

If anyone else is interested in testing this light and writing up a review in the "Light" forum let me know. I can set up a pass around.

Hey guys the D01 is now in stock and shipping! I will send out a few samples to those who have asked

Thanks

Ok everyone.
I have the light in my hand.
it is VERY compact and although the handle is almost the same diameter as the penetrators, the lens is larger in diameter. should fit nicely on my shoulder webbing.
the battery leaves a bit to be desired as it is borderline proprietary in nature however it will be nice to run a burn test which i will be doing starting tomorrow.
one problem i have found so far is in the holes drilled in the butt of the light for tying off. just as so many manufactures do, they left too sharp an edge and this will easily cut through wreck line. a nice feature (not necessary but nice) is that there are TWO of these tie off holes drilled out (i love redundancy).
the switch is indeed very smooth and ill wear dry gloves for one dive and hi-tide pro wet gloves for the other during testing them tomorrow. i will also be taking them to about 100' fresh water.
the lanyard you see in the pics does come with the light and is probably useful for divers focused on recreational diving and aow night dives for example. this should not effect a decision about the light itself however.
there are double o-ring seals to get to the battery compartment and the threads are slightly larger (perhaps stronger which is nice when dealing with aluminum, but also may be not as tight a seal) compared to threads on the penetrators.
i will post more tomorrow night after diving them.

Ok, so I dove the lights and can give a complete analysis. Jake has been very accommodating and understanding so I am going to be gentle with my review. Let me start by saying I was questioned about asking for 2 lights to test rather than just one. WOW! is it a good thing Jake sent me two. In the picture below, there are two hotspots from two Xtar DO1 lights that are supposed to be identical in every way. I actually took them both out of the box and charged the batteries identically in every way. Clearly, there is a lack of continuity between the two as seen in this picture.

Attachments

• DSC04839.JPE
    DSC04839.JPE
    14.9 KB · Views: 329
I brought a diverite LED 700 can light, a Halcyon EOS 12watt LED, a penetrator 180 (dorcy), and a dive rite LED300 (8 AA handheld version) to compare with the Xtar. First, you may ask why I bothered with the cans, honestly, out of the water, these Xtars are quite bright and had a tight hotspot where all three LED can lights threw much more scatter. the penetrator seemed slightly darker out of water than the Xtar (again this was at night). The tests today were conducted at 90' fresh water during the day however. In the first picture below, you are looking at the handheld DR LED300 (running on 8 AAs) in the lower right of the picture. The other two are both Xtar DO1 lights. the LED300 is clearly much brighter but also about 4 times the cost and unmistakeably larger in length and diameter. the nice part about the LED300 though, is that the AAs make it more practical (that being said the burn time is "not less than 12 hours" when constant on is maintained, according to DiveRite). I am currently running burn tests on the Xtar and will report as soon as two tests are complete. in the second picture, you can see the top right hotspot is being thrown by the penetrator. the bottom right and top left are the Xtar DO1. honestly, the picture is straight forward and quite accurate in representing the fact that the Xtar is not much different in color, hotspot, or "brightness" than the penetrator 180. the penetrator runs off of AAA batteries and twists on where the Xtar runs off of a proprietary c123 (double) battery and has a switch for on off. the switch does not have a lock and can easily turn on in your pocket (as one of these did at the end of the dive). I will say the switch is extremely smooth and super easy to operate with either wet or dry gloves (used both).

Attachments

• DSC04840.JPE
    DSC04840.JPE
    15 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC04843.JPE
    DSC04843.JPE
    15.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
more to follow as the burn tests finish. please feel free to ask question in case i missed a point you are concerned about. also, i didnt add a can light picture of comparison because it was pointless. this test also showed how ridiculous it is to hold lights side by side in a dark room against a light surface to measure brightness, hotspot, or scatter. the fact of the matter is, at depth, the lights are MUCH different.

Thanks, I am hoping to test one out for Jake on an upcoming dive trip to Bonaire. I cannot wait to run them through some rigorous testing on an allout dive weekend. I will hopefully test the units endurance and usability on a weeklong gauntlet of shore, boat, wreck, deepwater, and night diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom