XS Scuba SEAAIR Trimetal Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Qtacevac

Reaction score
I am looking for any info on the XS SEAAIR Trimetal reg, has anyone out there used one or researched this reg? Any info would be appreciated.

Qtacevac:
I am looking for any info on the XS SEAAIR Trimetal reg, has anyone out there used one or researched this reg? Any info would be appreciated.

We have recently added this regulator to our online lineup. Several years ago, I had the opportunity to use one of these under the previous name (IDI i think) in Panama City. It is an easy breathing regulator. We are going to put one through the atmospheric inhalation effort test some time today to determine it's characteristics. I expect it will be a pretty high performer. XS Scuba seems to be on the mark with most of it's products. I wouldn't expect this regulator to be any different. If you want more information, I have provided a link to our product page.

XS Scuba SeaAir Tri-Metal Regulator

Phil Ellis
Dive Sports Online
www.divesports.com
(800) 601-DIVE

I really appreciate it, please let me know how it does for you in the testing.

Qtacevac:
I really appreciate it, please let me know how it does for you in the testing.

We put one of these regulators on our inhalation resistance equipment this morning and ran it through the atmospheric tests. This information does not tell you everything about the regulator, but it does give a fairly good benchmark about how the regulator operates mechanically.

Overall, the regulator is really easy to breathe. Out of the box, the static cracking effort with the diver adjustment knob in the full open position was only 1.0" H2O. This is a pretty easy opening effort. Out of the box the intermediate pressure was 143 PSI at lockup and 118 PSI at a flow rate of 10 SCFM. This is a pretty good result. The maximum flow rate of the regulator was 23 SCFM. Of course, with the diver adjustment knob in the full closed position, the breathing effort was considerably increased (exactly what you would expect). The static cracking effort at full closed was 3.2" H2O. The maximum flow rate in the closed position 28 SCFM. There was no cross-over in this regulator in either the full open or full closed position, so there was no measurable venturi effect. It seems to be truely a neutral pressure regulator. We have more detailed results on this particular regulator, but it would be time consuming to list it all here.

We think this will be a nice regulator. It is a chance for a diver to get a high performance regulator at a pretty reasonable price. If you want more information, feel free to give me a call.

Phil Ellis
Dive Sports Online
www.divesports.com
(800) 601-DIVE

Great regs, my buddy has this one and I just recently bought an one to use as an octo.
We're both very happy with them
The price cannot be beat, we bought ours online.

Dave

Thank you for your time Phil, the info is really indepth and your input is much appreciated. Thank you also Dave its good to get input from someone who owns and uses the reg also.

philellis:
The static cracking effort at full closed was 3.2" H2O. The maximum flow rate in the closed position 28 SCFM.

Guys, please excuse a mistake I made in my posting about the performance of this regulator. I INCORRECTLY stated that the maximum flow rate in the "dive adjustment closed" setting as 28 SCFM. That should have read 18 SCFM. Sorry for that mistake.

Extra Interesting Note: The reduction in maximum flow rate from 23 SCFM in the full open position to 18 SCFM in the full closed position indicates that the diver adjustment knob on this regulator functions by changing (lowering) the lever position as you detune the regulator. Not the perfect way to design a diver adjustable feature, but very common in scuba regulators.

Phil Ellis
Dive Sports Online
www.divesports.com
(800) 601-DIVE

Qtacevac:

The review in the August issue of Scuba Diving Magazine had a review on it.
Looks like a good reg.

See this comparison chart (page 2 of this PDF)
http://dive.scubadiving.com/PDF/200506GR_breathers_chart.pdf

For the full review see http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/2005's_best_new_breathers/2/
XS Scuba SeaAir Tri-Metal

Simulator score: 22 out of a possible 25.

Ergo score: 56 out of a possible 70.

According to XS Scuba, the SeaAir Tri-Metal (so named because of its stainless-steel, titanium and brass components) delivers the performance of today's most expensive regs, yet is moderately priced. Based on our test results, this claim is grounded firmly in fact. Within the parameters of our standard breathing simulator tests, the Tri-Metal demonstrated Very Good to Excellent performance. Then it kept going. As RMVs and test depths increased, this reg continued to deliver air at a surprisingly low work of breathing. In short, the SeaAir Tri-Metal proved to be a real powerhouse when pushed to extremes.

The reg also proved more than able in actual ocean conditions, racking up Very Good scores in almost all ergo categories. Test divers found the reg to be a sweet breather in all positions and dry as a bone. The purge cover on the balanced second stage is a bit stiff, but unleashes a forceful rush of air for easy clearing. Although somewhat sticky, the breathing resistance knob gives you a full range of adjustment in only a couple of turns. The Tri-Metal's balanced piston first stage features a low-pressure port turret for easy hose routing and is the only reg in this group to come with a yoke rated for 4,000-psi cylinders. It carries a limited lifetime warranty. Based on its chart-topping performance and a reasonable price of $375, it's a Best Buy.

I was amazed when I read August issue of Scuba Diving Magazine and the review of this Reg. It rated it a Editor'sChoice and a Best Buy at $375. When I looked and found it minutes later at Leisure Pro for $225 I bought TWO! One for me and one for my newly certified wife. I figured if it was a best buy at $375 it was a DAMN bargain at $225!

I will give you the good, the bad and well there is NO ugly!

First their matching 3 guage console (spg, depth and compass) is a bit high (can't remember exact price) and I am a bit irritated it has no ring or eye to install a tie or snap to secure it out of the way. But that has NOTHING to do with regulator!

The regulator adjustment know seems REAL hard to turn? Kinda sticky? I figured it would ease up with use but I have used it now for about 28-30 dives. Not a major problem as I haven't adjusted it often anyway. Set it and forget it!

The plastic 2nd stage cover has a beautiful logo with silver letter and such silk screened onto it which immediately begin to rub and wear off! I guess I will buy a new one every other year or two?

The 1st stage has a nasty habit of the big nut (nut not the knob) getting loose ever 6 dives or so and causing me to freak as I naturally deduce a blown tank O-Ring when I turn on Air only to discover that I have to adjust (hand tighten) the nut before mounting 1st stage on tank. I bet I changed 6 O-Rings before I discovered this quirk. Granted I began diving this Reg out of (Internet Order Box) and if I had bought it froma Dealer (Nobody stocked it immediately, I called and emailed EVERY XS Scuba Dealer in Virginia!) they would have set it up properly?

All in all I am pleased!

I was initially shocked that XS Scuba could produce a Editors Choice 1st time out until I discovered that it was a IDI Regulator who had made quality regs for years. I even found a Owners Manual online describing this reg but it showed IDI's logo in their Artwork!

BREATHES AS GOOD AT 117 FEET AS IT DOES ON SURFACE!

I just got back from Brockville Canada, diving 10 wrecks in 5 days in St. Lawrence River!

Does anyone know if the xs DIN adaptor for the first stage connects to the yoke or replaces the yoke? I imagine it involves the removal of the yoke since I can't see how you would manage to connect an adaptor to it and a tank without it getting in the way.

Also would this be reliably permanent or would it be a better idea to get a DIN first stage and use a yoke adaptor for when I need to use K-valve tanks?

Also, are the low pressure/high pressure ports on yoke and din first stages the same? So if I wanted to change my first stage from yoke to din would all my old stuff (console, regs) work with no problem on the din first stage or would they each have to be modified to fit into a different port?

Back
Top Bottom