XH steel tank=Lopsided?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stakanak

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I own a Faber Extra Heavy steel 100-3180psi. I got a good deal on it and it was recommended by my LDS owner.
I like it a lot as I have dumped quite a bit of weight (from 28lbs with Aluminum 80 to 16lbs) and when horizontal am very stable.
The only problem I have occurred today on my first lobster hunt. We were in shallow water (10-15ft) with quite a bit of surge and mucho kelp. As I searched underneath the rocks and ledges head down for the tasty bugs, I found the surge consistently rolled me over on my back and I missed quite a few legals because of this (I actually got skunked, but boy was it fun:).
Should I try a lighter tank?
Just to clarify I dive with an Aeris 5 Oceans BC. I carry 6lbs in each pocket plus 4 in two tank strap pouches. Thanks in advance.
Get Wet!

You may be top heavy. Do you need the lead that high on your body for trim? If not consider moving it down to your side on a belt ,or ditchable BC weight pockets.

Then again maybe it was just the surge in the shallows. I'd probably go for a few more placid dives before tinkering too much.

Pete

Different dive. Different configuration.
For those dives I use extra weight, in the front four of a seven pocket belt and use the rear three for mesh catch bags and things.
If integrated I still use the belt so I can take my gear off and drag it behind me.
A 120 pumped to 4000psi.

I have the same Faber tank. I use it in conjunction with either a BPW or a Dive Rite Transpac. Either case, I never had the problem with turtling over even in shallow depth, heavy surge. I don't hunt but I do a lot of spotting and scouting for the photographers and lots of times, I stand on my head so that I can keep the flashlight on the subject while the photographers move into position.

You need more dives to get used to the rig, that's all. Experiment with your leg positions: sticking it straight up usually helps with preventing getting flipped over than curling your legs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom