?Xenon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tekkie

Reaction score
Hey,
I was looking for some backup lights. I was wondering if Xenon light bulbs over run the battery or do they have a higher chance of breaking (the bulb)? Also what about Leds?

Heres my options:
OMS Xenon Backup 201 Dive Light
OMS 7 LED Backup
Pelican Super SaberLight (2000)
Tektite Expedition 1400 14 LED Backup
Tektite Expedition 300 7 LED Backup
Tektite Expedition 50 1 LED Backup
Tektite Trek 200
EE Backup Light
Manta Backup Light

I kind of like them all and I acnt make a decision that would get me the best safety for the money. Thanks for the help:)
Tekkie

I think you can see whether the bulb is being overrun by comparing the total voltage of the batteries with the voltage of the bulb.

As far as breaking: LED's are almost impossible to break, but if you don't throw your flashlight too much, a Xenon bulb will be very difficult to break too (think about the abuse Xenon headlights in cars get!).

A key thing to as yourself is what the purpose of your backup light is: If it is strictly to get you safely to the surface in case your primary light fails, go for a small Xenon or LED light that you can easily store in or attach to your BC and forget about. If you also want to use it as a light for daylight diving (to look in holes etc.) I would go with a 3-5W Xenon bulb. LED bulbs do not have a lot of penetrating power and will only show you what is fairly close.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

I bought myself a Gilan Pocket. ( togehter with a Gilan Traveller)
Fully aluminium, runs on both dry-cells and rechargables (AA's)
double o-ring, halogen bulb.
It is the newest model of them sold for Eur 99,95 only.
I used it ones now and actually i'm very impressed by its perfomance!

I use two of these as back-up lights, 15$ each with batteries, made of polycarbonate (Lexan), extremely bright (forget the old Divernet test, they changed the reflector), 3/5 hours of light.
Kept one in my pocket for 7 years doing hundreds of deep dives, excellent.
If you like LED, PT is going to release a new generation 1W LED this month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom