xD vs CF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the original 32 mb XD card and several CF cards (and a couple of SM as well). I really don't see any difference in speed. I guess if you measured it, you may could tell a difference but for practical use it's not a big deal. If you shoot RAW then it would become imprortant but I am assuming you are shooting some more compact format. The XD's are just too expensive for the amout of memory you get so I mainly use CF. Being so small, they are also a pain to handle. I do suggest that you get/keep an XD for panoramma function and for "extra" media as you can have both an XD(or SM) and a CF in the camera at the same time.

Since the camera has slots for both, that you can use at the same time, why not get both? you can get more pictures that way.
I got a 256, original olympus xd on sale for $79. Not a bad deal

I am looking at getting either a 5050 or 5060. I would plan on getting both since the camera can utilize both. CF seem to be cheaper (a bit) but also comewith much greater capacity. You can get 1GB CF cards for around $150 or less. Even the 2GB are becoming more affordable. Rumors are that the 3 and 4GB will soon be available in quantity.

Having that much memory allows for taking more or higher resolution photos.

I haven't noticed a difference in read or write speeds between my Viking 512CF and the 32XD card that came with the camera.

Like Herman mentioned, the XD is so small it can be really hard to handle but if you download from you camera and seldom remove the card, it's not a problem.

I also have them both in the camera at the same time. I use the XD for movie clips to save space on the CF card.

I also have both but have to admit I like the CF card as it isnt as small and not likly to loose it as easy .I use a 256 mb XD card and two 512 mb cf cards working on getting 1 gb cf card

I have a 128MB xD and a Transcend 30x 512MB CD card. You won't find any significant difference in write speed WHEN SHOOTING IN JPEG because the C5050 has a reasonable buffer to hold about 2-4 JPEGs (depeding on JPEG size).
If you shoot in RAW, where each file is 7MB, the CF is much faster (4s vs 8s transfer time).

It seems that the high speed CF cards are the way to go. The high speed CF cards are as fast as the XD's as far as read/ write capabilities. They are more wholesome, and thus more adept at being handled compared to the tiny XD. Especially, if you use a card reader. The size of the CF is more of a personal preference. If you don't mind saving the images at the end of the dive day, perhaps a 512 will do. If you prefer to do it every few days on a dive trip, then a 1 GB is probably the way to go. There are concerns about the possibility of losing 'all' your images in case of a malfunction with these larger capacity cards. Just don't buy a 2 or 3 GB card though. The prices are going to drop the next couple of years...

I'm curious Dee, just how much video are you able to record on the 32mb card? I bought a couple of 512mb CF cards for my 5060 to take RAW photos on. Figured the 32mb wasn't big enough to even mess with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom