Xcel wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
I've put my order in on an Xcel 5/4/3 wetsuit the other day. Once I get it and dive it, I will provide an equipment report

I have an excel 6.5mm and I love it. Almost all my diving is at Lake Tahoe at an elevation of about 6200ft and tempatures 50 and 60 degree is consiederd the warmer part of the year up thier. The most widely used suit that I have seen seems to be the Excel. In 50 degree tempertures I have been perfectly comfortable. I don't think you will regret getting one.

Here's my report on my Excel 5/4/3...

Due to conditions in Gulf, Corsair, Seawolf and I were forced to alter our plans and dived in Lake Travis near Austin, Texas. Travis is a very deep water lake where 150' dives are possible. The lake level was much lower (20 feet approx) than when I was there earlier in the summer.

We dove near the Mansfield Dam where the depth slowly tapers down to 55 feet before you come to a 25-30 foot wall. Our dive profiles kept us no deeper than 90 feet, though we could have easily sought out deeper if we wish.

The temp at the deeper depth was below 70-degrees. I would guess in the mid 60's but my computer only recorded 69-degrees, but according to the manual, the temp sampling is very slow to change when in a standard console boot.

First dive I had added a 2-mil hooded vest and was very warm and toasty. Only downside was I didn't have enough weight for the 7mils of neoprene and wrassled with bouyancy for much of the dive.

The 2nd through 5th dives of the weekend, I just dove with wetsuit only. While I did get the "initial" rush of cold when I dropped below the thermocline (like jumping into a swimming pool), I never did get cold, even after repeatitive dives to the 80 to 90 ffw levels. I spent about 20 minutes at this depth, which should be plenty of time to feel a chill, but I didn't.

I should also add that on all dives, I wore 1.5 mil gloves and a 2mil beanie. I'm sure these contributed greatly to helping me stay warm.
  • Summary: I am very happy with this suit. The design makes donning and wearing very easy and comfortable. The construction looks like it should last me a very long time. And these dives showed me that it will cover the majority of my dive profiles throughout Texas and many blue water trips.
I highly recommend this suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom