x650

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marcin2005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
At some point I'm planning on changing my gear and taking DIR-F course. Other than going with Apeks for my regs I'm wondering if Scubapros's X650 would also be acceptable or would I have to get either G250HP or S600.

As an option I'm also contemplating Aqualung's Legend LX supreme.

Thanks for you help.

M

I have an Mk25/X650/R390 set-up and have taken Fundies with it. That being said, I would not recommend it over an Apeks or a S600/R390 setup because of it's different nomenclature and the possible difficulty in switching parts, let alone if you needed to do a take-apart and underwater "field repair".

I have failed to ever seen any valid reasoning for disassembling a second stage underwater as there are better options and many things that can go wrong, but if it's important to you, relax because the the X650 is easy to take apart. Just pop the cover off and unscrew the retainer holding the diaphragm in place. No tools are required.

One advantage of the X650 over the S600, G250 etc. is that you would be far less likely to ever need to take the cover off underwater. It uses a long thin lever that pivots on the air barrel and there is essentially nothing to really trap a rock, etc under the lever. At least it is a lot less likely to occur on an X650 than it is on an S600 or G250. The X650 also has a huge exhaust valve and a bit more area between the spokes supporting the valve to let any gravel out.

Parts commonality is also high even though they look different. The poppet (seat carrier) used in the X650 is shorter than the "S-Wing" poppet used in the S600, G250, and S550, but it use the same replaceable seat and the o-rings sealing the poppet are the same. So the parts likely to wear and need replacement are the same.

DA Aquamaster, as usual a wealth of information. Thank you very much. As far as me wanting to take the reg a part under water, rest assure that I have not intention of doing it. However, since it's one of the requirements for the regs as outlined by GUE I'm looking at the available options.

PS. Based on your in-depth posts I'll most likely end up with MK17/X650 combo. Again thanks a lot.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom