X-Vision storage longevity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heavenstorm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been diving with an X-Vision ever since my open water days and have grown very much accustomed to it. I've recently purchased a third one for the sole purpose of storage. While I know that there is the possibility that I may switch to a newer mask somewhere along the road, I just want to be comforted by the fact that even though they totally phase out the X-Vision, I still have one stashed away.

However, since this is an item comprised of materials that don't exactly last forever, I have a few questions:

The X-Vision I got was the clear type. It was, of course, in a box and inside a clear plastic bag (so one doesn't handle the mask directly). Now...

1. Having not touched the mask directly, which might eliminate the problem of finger residue on the silicone, how long can the mask last under optimum storage conditions?

2. Apart from keeping it in the box, I plan to put it in my closet inside one of those airtight/liquid-tight food containers with 2 silica gel packets. Will the absence of moisture/humidity "dehydrate" the skirt and make it brittle?

3. Will it still be affected by mold or rot?

4. Finally, if I don't hold/use/rinse it and given the additional protective film (on the lens and maybe the skirt, if it has one )... and the fact that I am keeping it in a dark area, will it still become yellow over time?

Are there any other things I need to consider?

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom