X-posted: Middle Ear Barotrauma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just completed my OW certification in Mexico last weekend. We did two days of diving -- 1 day practicing skills and diving in a calm cenote, and 1 day in the open water (2 dives each day). I thought I was equalizing properly, but apparently not. The day after we were done diving, I noticed a persistent feeling of water and fullness in my L ear. I've since seen a doctor at home and have fluid behind my L ear drum. My right ear drum was a bit red too. So it looks like I developed at least 1, if not 2, middle ear barotraumas.

Now that I know my symptoms are really indicative of a diving injury, I want to learn all I can to avoid such problems in the future. I may have been more prone to ear problems b/c I had a serious case of influenza about 2 wks. before I went diving, and still had sinus problems just a few days before. But with Sudafed and sinus rinses, my sinus pressure had cleared and I thought I was good to dive. (Probably mistake #1, eh?) How does one know when one it's safe to dive again after a sinus or upper respiratory problem?

During my dives, I would attempt to equalize using the Valsalva manuever (pinch and blow). I'd do it before I felt discomfort and when I felt a bit of ear pressure/discomfort. Was that wrong? If I feel any pressure or discomfort at all, should I ascend and THEN try to equalize, rather than trying to equalize where I am when I feel the pain? A couple of times, I had to blow really hard to get my ears to pop/to relieve the pain. Is that wrong? Did that set me up for problems?

After day 1 of diving, I had a lot of continued popping/clicking my ears. I noticed it while at dinner, etc. Should that have been an alarm bell of some sort for me? As a new diver, I thought it was normal.

The second day of diving, when I came up after my first dive, I had bloody mucus in my mask, from my nose. Was that another alarm signal?

From what I've read, flying isn't advised until after a barotrauma has healed. But 1) I didn't realize that at the time, and 2) I had to go home; staying in Mexico for a few additional weeks wasn't an option. Did I potentially make things worse by flying?

Right now, on my doctor's advice, I'm taking Sudafed and a nasal steroid spray. There's been no noticeable improvement in my symptoms, but it sounds like it could take awhile. Sometimes I do notice my ears popping, esp. on the R (the side that's not so bad) when I swallow or blow my nose. Is that a sign of progress? My plan is to schedule an appt. with an ENT doc if I've been home a week without noticing any improvement. Good plan?

Any other advice you can share with me re avoiding/treating barotraumas is welcome as well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom