www.backscatter.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReeferBen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone used them? Are they a good company to deal with?

I am planning on buying the ikelight ds-50 package for my PT-010 housing and the wide angle lens from INON.

They have both at a good price, what do you think?

I haven't used them personally but know lots of folks who have. Backscatter has a very good reputation and lots of satisfied customers.

I have stopped by to chat with them a few times and drool over their cameras. I have also rented cameras from them a few times. They are extremely nice people and great to deal with.

Good company, good people, well thought of by us locals.

Thanks, they seems to have very decent pricing!

Do you think I would be better going witht the DS-125 versus the DS-50? What are some major advantages of the larger strobe, is it spread and distance?

I have dealt with Backscatter a fair bit the last 3+ years since I bought two Top Dawg housings. I have been satisfied with their sales and repair in general. Sometimes e-mail responses are a bit slower than I would prefer, but I think phone calls or drop in would eliminate that.

Dr. Bill

I bought a DS50 a few months back. Given the choice, I'd go for the DS125 though....much better value in the long run.

ReeferBen once bubbled...
Do you think I would be better going witht the DS-125 versus the DS-50? What are some major advantages of the larger strobe, is it spread and distance?

DS-125.... better coverage for Wide Angle Lens ..... more powerful ... more features(modeling light, 1 second recycle time etc) but more expensive

Alot will depend on your use pattern..... i.e. clear tropical water or more turbid water. The DS 50 may struggle in a WAL application in the later....but would work great in macro type photos

Do a search on this topic ....you will find tons of info

That's a great site... nice and easy to read.

I have an Oly-3000 and am thinking about this package...

Have you heard good things about the YS-25dx?

Alex (zboss),

I like the DS series strobes better as they dont need the addition of the fiber optic cable. They fire in sync with the camera by using the TTL slave. It basically sences when the cameras internal flash is going to fire and fires the strobe. I also like the Ikelite products better and wish I had just started with the ikelite housing. After you purchase the PT-010 housing and the tray for the housing the pricing is very close. The Ikelite housing comes with the tray.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom