WW2 wrecks on the cheap??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dustin84

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, and the island of Sumatra from January to April. I am wondering if there are any WW2 wrecks in these locations that can be access relatively cheaply. I cannot afford a trip to the Philippines or Truk Island right now. Id love to see some Japanese airplanes from that period, but warships would be cool to. Thanks for any input!

Dustin

Lumba Lumba:
WW II Wreck "Sophie Rickmers"
The 134 m long “Sophie Rickmers” is an impressive wreck, covered with corals, situated in the sheltered bay of Pria Laot. The cargo steam ship was built in1920 in Germany. During WW II, the “Sopie Rickmers” was one of the 5 ships which were confiscated by the Dutch on May 10, 1940 in the waters around Pulau Weh. However, the crew of "Sophie Rickmers" sunk their own ship at that same day.
The wreck is home to a giant grouper, giant morays and giant trevallies. A school of unicorn file fishes often swims past to add some confusion of “whatizat?” to your nitrogen narcosis, and schools of batfishes accompany you down and up along the mooring line. Most special fish to try and remember to notice, is probably the black-spot angelfish (Genicanthus melanospilos). Usually rare to find because of it’s preference for deeper waters, it’s fairly abundant on this wreck, if you just don’t forget to look for it. With the wheelhouse at 37 m, the decks at around 45 m and the straight bow resting on the bottom at over 55 m deep, we organise the wreck dive as a special decompression dive for experienced deep divers only.

This is in Pulau Weh, on the northern tip of Sumatra. The diving there is excellent, regardless of whether this is, or isn't within your experience level.....

The cheapest and easiest to access WWII wrecks in Asia are at Subic Bay, Philippines. USS New York, one of the best wrecks in the world, is 5 minutes from the jetty...

If you are in Asia, you can get a budget flight to Clark airport and then drive 30 mins to Subic. It is very attainable, even on a small budget...and you could feasibly go for a weekend.

Flight costs from Singapore, KL, BKK or Vietnam are around $10-$40 dollars with airlines like Air Asia. Taxi from Clark to Subic is about $10. Price per dive is around $12.

Just PM if you need any details.

Thanks all for the comment. I did end up going to the Philippines. Johan's in Subic Bay was a great dive shop to work with. 6 dives there, but viz was bad on the USS New York. :( Coron was excellent, and we made 6+ penetration dives on the wrecks there. After Coron, I went shark-chasing on Malapascua and saw 4 species in 3 days of diving, Devil Rays too!

The pricing was a little higher than DevonDiver posted though. By the time you add equipment rental and EANx, the price gets pretty close if not a bit over USD 30 per tank, and thats if you do 3+ dives/day and scour all the dive shops for best value.

Any picture seekers can check out my blog.

Cheers,
Dustin

The pricing was a little higher than DevonDiver posted though. By the time you add equipment rental and EANx, the price gets pretty close if not a bit over USD 30 per tank, and thats if you do 3+ dives/day and scour all the dive shops for best value.

Ah Dustin.. you didn't PM me :wink: Hence the prices. :D

Johan's in Subic Bay was a great dive shop to work with. 6 dives there, but viz was bad on the USS New York.

Cheers,
Dustin
Going there with my mate soon.
I really do not remember ever diving New York with good vis!!!!! That would spoil the fun, wouldn't it?

You should start saving hard and visit Truk. Do not dither too long as the wrecks are deteriorating fast.

Back
Top Bottom