WTB: Ikelite Housing & Strobe for Nikon D70

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I see that, tbizzell. I was looking on the Sea & Sea website last night and maybe my eyes were too droopy! I did see though that the DX-D70 was discontinued and there is no replacement for it! Hopefully then the price will drop too!

I just received the DX750G. I like the camera and yes, the strobe is a little dinky, but for my first u/w camera, I figured this was the best buy (Scuba Toys Sport Kit). I plan on in the far future of either getting a housing and setup for my Nikon or getting a HD camcorder, housing and strobes. A friend of mine has a similar setup, non HD, and loves it.

I think the site suggest using the Nikon D50 as an alternative to the Nikon D70.
Anyway. I got put off by Sea And Sea because the chage extra for options like zoom rings that come with the Ikelites. Just a little annoying.

I have a Dx750g. I use the D70 as a land camera. I wanted to play around with underwater photography but had a hard time justifying $2000 plus for equipment to go with a camera and an 18-70mm lens that costs $999.

I could a 2.8 70-200mm lens for that.

tbizzell:
I think the site suggest using the Nikon D50 as an alternative to the Nikon D70.
Anyway. I got put off by Sea And Sea because the chage extra for options like zoom rings that come with the Ikelites. Just a little annoying.

I have a Dx750g. I use the D70 as a land camera. I wanted to play around with underwater photography but had a hard time justifying $2000 plus for equipment to go with a camera and an 18-70mm lens that costs $999.

I could a 2.8 70-200mm lens for that.

That's the impression I got too. I actually have a Nikon D70 and a Nikon N70. I migrated from film to digital this past winter and bought the D70 body only as I have some good lenses from the N70.

Funny you say that, that's the exact thinking I had too! I bought the 750G as I didn't want to dump $5000 into a new setup.

The 750g setup for the type of camera that it is looks pretty good. I sort of got down on Sea and Sea. It was just that when I looked at their housings for the d 70, they wanted to sell little accessories like plastic gear rings for $200. Iknow that these are small scale production. Nikon is making 40,000 D200's a month and cannot keep up with demand. I am sure that the demand for D200 housings is a much smaller niche market.

I can get a pretty good C8 led flashlight for $75 that would hold up to 500 feet depth,
yet a simple flash without all of the extras of my nikon SB 800 costs $300.

The package kit for the Dx-750g with a small discount form my LDS was a could deal.
The price for the strobe and arm package is $380. Do not get me wrong, the flash is solid, well built and great for its intended purpose, but so is my $75 flashlight.

The ys-15 does not have the infared sensors and metering that the nikon land strobes have.

These companies might sell even more of these cameras and reduce the per unit cost if they were not trying to gouge or at least look at their pricing models.

I do not know about the camera itself, I have had it a short time, but the housing seemed much better than the Sea Life product.

All -

Thanks heaps for your comments.

I just got the Ikelite housing and port as well as a DS125 strobe. I hope to find a used second strobe.

Thanks again!

Bill

PS I get to try it out next month at the Red Sea!!!!!!

DiveWarden:
All -

Thanks heaps for your comments.

I just got the Ikelite housing and port as well as a DS125 strobe. I hope to find a used second strobe.

Thanks again!

Bill

PS I get to try it out next month at the Red Sea!!!!!!

I am using my Sea&Sea setup in 2 weeks in the Bahamas! I used the camera itself this past weekend in Denver and it produced pretty good photos. It's definitely not the D70, but it will definitely work for me at this point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom