WTB: Ikelite Housing & Strobe for Nikon D70

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveWarden

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

I am looking for a used Ikelite housing for a Nikon D70 and strobe(s). Please let me know what you have, the condition and how much you would like for it.

Please email me directly at NPSParkRanger@hotmail.com

Thanks heaps!

Bill

I too would like one of these for my D70, but as this housing is fairly new, I doubt there will be any used housings. Good luck in your search!

Bill

Lots of people are upgrading to the D200. These people are putting their D70 bodies and housings on eBay and other places to move them.

There have been a couple on eBay in the last few weeks. I got mine from a very thoughful and excellent photog in the SB Classifieds! last fall... keep your eyes open!

Now that the D200 is shipping, D70's (and their accessories) are gonna be hitting the secondary markets.

---
Ken

I have several friends who have had problems with the D70 Ikelight housing leaking.

I'd try the Sea & Sea housing or even better (but quite $$$$ the subal)

IMO Backscatter in Monterey is the best uw photo shop on the planet here is a link to the D70 housings they have available.... I don't know if they do used or not.

For the record, I have the Ike D70 housing and have been very happy with it. It's heavy as can be up top, but perfectly neutral underwater.

You do have to be sure the particular lens you want will fit in the port, but that'll be true of any SLR housing.

Thanks for the tips. I have come to realize the 'which is better' for housings are similar to the which is better between Nikon and Canon... It is just what you like (I actually switch to Nikon a year ago after 20 years with Canon)!

Anyway, I just bought a new TTL housing, an 8 inch dome port and DS125 srobe (all new). I will be needing them soon... So I could not wait. BUT I am still in the market for a used DS125 strobe.

I also noticed many of the used housings for sale were non TTL (and to modify it... it would almose be like paying for a new one) or the sales price for used ones where only like $200 less then new. So for that 'little' money, I opted for new.

Thanks again!

I can't wait to use it!!! My first time will be for some over under on Kodiak Island with the salmon... then at Kamai for some over/under with salmon and bears both up here in Alaska... then finally to the Red Sea!!! YIPEEE!!!!

DiveWarden:
I can't wait to use it!!! My first time will be for some over under on Kodiak Island with the salmon... then at Kamai for some over/under with salmon and bears both up here in Alaska... then finally to the Red Sea!!! YIPEEE!!!!

Where do you live in AK? I have an offer to work in Nikiski on the Kenai Penninsula that I am seriously considering.

scubapolly:
I have several friends who have had problems with the D70 Ikelight housing leaking.

I'd try the Sea & Sea housing or even better (but quite $$$$ the subal)

IMO Backscatter in Monterey is the best uw photo shop on the planet here is a link to the D70 housings they have available.... I don't know if they do used or not.

I actually like the Sea and Sea housings better. I see (no pun intended) that the DX-D50 is a replacement to the DX-D70. Is the DX-D70 still available, yet less expensive?

BigBill:
I actually like the Sea and Sea housings better. I see (no pun intended) that the DX-D50 is a replacement to the DX-D70. Is the DX-D70 still available, yet less expensive?

Are you asking about the housing or the camera itself?

It looks like the Dx-50 is for the Nikon d50 and the Dx-70 was for the Nikon D70/D70s.

The D50 and D70 cameras are not interchangeable. They are different cameras. The D50 is actually lighter weight and a little smaller.

At first I thought the Sea And Sea stuff looked good. I also think they are pricey. The strobes and arms are particulary pricey when compared to the Ikelite's products.
The sea and sea ys-15 retails for around $300 or more and is not all that impressive. I

When paired with a DX-750g, the ys-15 gets triggered by light running through a fiber optic cable to the strobe. The light source is the cameras flash.

The strobe is not all that powerfull. Pricewise as far as strobes, and ARMS go, the Ikelite deliver's a better product. The Ikelites seem be full featured, and more powerfull and lower pricepoint without any compromises.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom