wrist mounted dive computer or attached?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for a Non-AI wrist mount with a grass and glass SPG.

+1 for a Non-AI wrist mount with a grass and glass SPG.

+1.

But..it all does depend on personal preference. And what you are used to diving with. I started renting wrist computers years ago on charters, and I found I liked having the info on my wrist. Finally bought an Oceanic 180 NX. A basic nitrox capable computer.

But alot of buds like the Atomic unit.

On an OW certification dive I lent a student a wrist computer when the console unit was not working properly. He loved it and went "hey, I like this!".

I am very careful that I don't lose my wrist computer somewhere!

Good question BTW.

For me:
Wrist mount AI, brass and glass spg as well as a second non integrated wrist watch style computer. The watch computer is small enough that I can also wear an SK 7 on that wrist in a bungee mount. Drift diving I don't bother with the SK 7. I have a mini compass that goes on a watch band. My AI computer has an electronic compass as well.

My two diving computers are wrist mounted non-AI type (Suunto Vyper (Rec) and Shearwater Predator (Tech)) . In addition I dive with a watch and analog gauges.

I'll throw my vote in for wrist mounted computer as well, for all those great reasons (safety being the top one ... you lose your AI computer, and you have NOTHING). Also, a wrist mounted computer works great for those of us who's eyesight may be changeable at this time in their lives ( a polite way to say I need bi-focals!!!). Mounted on my wrist, I can vainly move it to wherever I need to make it clear to me. I would vote for a "proper" dive computer size wise as well: not a watch style, which can make the information very small and very difficult to read underwater. You wouldn't want to misread it there. I want it nice and big and clear.
But that's just me ... best of luck to you!!! And welcome to the fraternity!!! :)

For normal (sightseeing) diving a simple wrist computer is enough- the more bling, the more potential PITA. I'm on my 4th computer- I started with Alladin Sport, then Suunto Vyper, then Stinger and now Suunto Gecko. Gecko is one of the cheapest but well-made and does Nitrox. You can change the batteries yourself.As an instructor/guide I'm not looking for aggressive decompression models as most customers have a Suunto or equivalent and it makes no sense for me to have a computer giving me more No-Deco time than guests. Divers in NZ are more likely to opt for the console computer as wrist-mounted interferes with catching crayfish. :)Don't go too fancy with computers. D4s and D9s are very good but also more complicated to service.

Don't feel bad, I've been diving for 40+ yrs and don't get all the acronyms on SCUBAboard. But I'm also a Newbee to this forum.

Here's a different point of view ( would that be POV ? ). We used Scubapro Galileo Sols & Lunas in our training and diving. IMHO ( I believe this acronym should mean In My Humble Opinion ), they are the best.

They are Hoseless Air-Integrated Dive Computer ( HAIDC ? new acronym ). You can wear them on your wrist or use a retractor.

Question about transmitters; Do you use a remote for your TV or garage door?

Question about reliability of transmitters versus SPG; transmitters have fewer points of failure than SPG's. SPG's have a greater rate of failure IMHO!

Manmade gear will fail. If you are doing Tec diving or remote once-in-a-life time diving or you just have the desire to stay in the water, then have redundancy. Two SPGs or two transmitters, ect.

PM me if you want a special deal on a Scubapro Dive Computer ( SDC ), New or used!

Keep it simple:
spg + wrist mount computer( Zoop is much cheaper than D4, 6 or 9).
Save the money for an analogue compass, a spare mask in the pocket, an smb(surface marker buoy) + spool(optional) and an loud whistle etc etc.

Wrist mounted non AI computer with B&G SPF. When someone comes out with an OLED AI rec computer that doesn't cost a kidney I'd be interested.

Back
Top Bottom