Wrist computers - what are you using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... I was about to order the cressi giotto (I liked the price, easy to read, does what all the other computers do), until someone from a dive shop talked me out of that one and convinced me to go with just the Suunto d4i novo. I know it's pricier but certain colors are on sale right now. The giotto might be too big, I think? I have a small wrist, and the suunto, maybemire difficult to read since it's smaller

I think big is a plus: it's easier to see the numbers. The strap is too long for slim bare wrist (it's long enough for thick wrist in drysuit and gloves, so...), and it's not the usual watch band fitting -- at least not on my leonardo and I believe giotto is the same. So it's not easy to replace with e.g. one of these: CountyComm - NITROX-17 A 17" Watch Band For Divers

Note that d4i has air integration, too. If you don't want that, oceanic geo 2 is a popular choice in the watch size. If you want that in puck or bigger size, hollis dg02 is about the best bang for the buck you can get, after that you're looking at $1000 price range.

To answer your original question: I go on Caribbean vacations and spend 7-9 days diving in bright sunlight (well, at night too) breathing air from al80 & rental regs. My cressi leonardo turns on when I hit the water and shows me everything I need. It's about zero maintenance: I did replace the battery once. Sometimes I even forget to change the clock to local time.

Suunto is way too conservative, especially with multiple dives. if you are planning to dive, staying far away from the NDL, you will be fine, otherwize, beware.........................

I am still using an Oceanic OCi. Great computer. As guyharrsionphoto mentioned, it has two algo so I can switch the algo depending on which dive comp the rest of the group is using.

It is a dot matrix display. The display is actually a lot bigger than the Suunto D series.

OCi has the AI feature and yes: I do have AI transmitter hooked up to my regulator. But I also use an SPG. The AI is just for reference and the cool factor (one get to see ATR and tank data will automatically loaded into the dive log software).

I really like it and it is a great computer. The only beef that I can find with it is that given it is a wrist watch style comp, most ppl (myself included) will have to send the watch in for battery change. I've had the comp for about 3 years and it went through one battery change already.

If I were to get another dive comp, I'd go with Shearwater or HW. OLED display and pretty solid build quality. Excellent customer service and the computers are tried and true. The best part is that you can just change out AA battery on your own without paying a shop doing it so.

Consoles are like mullets, so 70s/80s. Do not be that diver unless you also have a mullet, in which case, yeah, a console is the least of the issues. N

i have been using my Mares Puck Pro and I love it. Im going to keep it for awhile. Maybe my next upgrade will be and integrated system.. IDK. But for now the puck pro does everything I need it to do.

I'm using Oceanic Atmos and a XR2 for backup. Both have large, easily readable numerals. Pretty easily customized settings too.
Battery change is straightforward but does require some nimbleness of the fingers.
Both thermometers steadfastly refuse to go any lower than 54 degrees F. Data cable connectivity can be an issue at times, but its just a matter of wiggling and maybe clean the contacts.

I've been using them for years now, maybe nine for the XR2 and a little less for Atmos. The Oceanic software (MS version) I have been using is serviceable but akin to Spock's "stone knives and bear skins."
Looks like they may have upgraded but I haven't bothered to install it. I must not be too inconvenienced by said knives and skins...

I was also suffering with the original Aeris SW. Stone knives indeed. If you use a Mac, then try MacDive
MacDive review (v 2.6.5, Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan, Aeris Atmos 2)

Oceanic computers have a good feature in that they offer a choice of algorithms, one more "liberal" and one more "conservative." This gives you a choice depending on the diving (more "liberal" for one or two tank dives, more "conservative" for a week of intense repetitive diving).
My Cressi A2 does this too.

I (and my wife) both dive Suunto EON Steels, We've had them for 18 months and each have just over 250 dives. Still love them, easy to use, can make the algorithm conservative (to match a guides on vacation, or rather aggressive to suit multi day deep dives as is our will. Never had the computer limit our diving

Yes we use ours for advance rec diving ( deco on mixed gasses occasionally) deep diving (50m is my current cert) but generally it's used for 30m single tank dives.

I would buy another, I looked at Petrals but they weren't for me and I didn't buy into the Scuba board hype and fanzone (and still don't)

I also have the EON Steel. Wife has the D6i Novo.

I like the AI not only for the convenience but because it gets logged. It'll be very interesting a few years down the road to look back and see how our dive profiles and air consumption smooth out. Some people don't care for data. To each his/her own. We carry clip-on SPGs as backup.

I'd like to get into recreational sidemount down the road and the EON Steel can connect to multiple transmitters. That'll allow me to get away with hoseless button SPGs on the tanks for a minimalist reg setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom