Wrist Computer vs. Gauge Cluster Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perry Dives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, I'm a fairly new diver with about 25 dives on my log (all in Grand Cayman) and I'm ready to invest in a BC, reg, octo and gauge cluster. I'm really only planning to dive in tropical waters, mostly in Cayman. I've pretty much narrowed down gear to: ScubaPro Glide Pro BC, ScubaPro MK25/S600, Oceanic Alpha 8, but I can't determine which configuration I want for my gauge cluster, or which brand.

I have a SubGear XP-10 computer which is fine, but to be honest I prefer to just look at my gauge cluster which always includes a computer on the rented gear I use. The first question is: is it necessary to use a wrist computer at all if I prefer to use a gauge cluster computer? What would be the disadvantage of eliminating a wrist computer?

The next question is which instruments do I want on my cluster? And finally which make and model would everyone suggest?

Thanks.

I have sb glide pro bc and i love it, also have mk25/s600 but havent used it yet but im sure its great.. I use suunto vyper 2 gauge console and galileo sol wrist computer, i like wrist much more aince its right there for a quick look, big digits and i got all info i need.. U dont need to use wrist computer is u got console if u dont want to

Well, you could always just buy an air integrated computer to eliminate an SPG. One glance at your computer would give you depth, ND time, dive time, cylinder psi, heading, etc. The Suunto Cobra series is a good choice. Keep your current computer as a back up. Clip it to your BC or stick it in a pocket. I just like to keep things as simple as possible.

Your XP-10 will fit in either a Scubapro or SubGear two gauge ( XP-10 w/ a SPG ) or a Scubapro or SubGear three gauge console ( XP-10, SPG & compass ). You just buy the console and the gauges that you desire.

It is personal preference between the console & wearing your XP-10 on your wrist.

You could switch it back to your wrist mount when you need to travel light w/ just your dive computer.

Welcome to diving! It sounds like you are totally hooked! Wrist top vs console...you are not the first to be facing that dilemma.

The advantages of a console computer is they traditionally have large, easy to read screens, and they are hanging out with the rest of your instruments. Everything you need is in one place. The disadvantage is that there is a little more work when you need to look. You can solve this by clipping it off somewhere where you can see it by just looking down. I like to clip mine off across my chest to a D-ring on the right side. I just simply tip my head and see my gauges.

A wrist top computer is nice because it shows you your information with a quick glance at your wrist. However, unless you have an air integrated computer, you still need to look at your other gauges. If you stick with a wrist top, I suggest you upgrade to an air integrated computer.

I do a lot of diving, so I use both...one for a back up.

Cheers,

I have a mares puck air and love it for the fact that it takes up about the same size as an spg and tells me everything i need to know all in one glance.

Use whichever configuration that makes you happy.

It's that simple. People make a big deal out of nothing - witness the old wrist vs console mount thread.

I have both set-ups and I use whichever that floated my boat that day. Sometimes I even got crazy and broke out the old analog gauges, a dive watch and a set of dive tables.

I'm with fnfalman, go with what you like, it's all down to personal preference. I personally prefer wrist mount, computer on one and compass on the other allows to me to navigate without altering my trim/swimming position i.e don't have to move at all.

I'm with fnfalman, go with what you like, it's all down to personal preference. I personally prefer wrist mount, computer on one and compass on the other allows to me to navigate without altering my trim/swimming position i.e don't have to move at all.

Most of the time I have the computer on the right wrist and the compass on the left wrist for the same reason as you are. However, there are times when I go hunting, I prefer to have my wrists/forearms without encumberances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom