Wreck of the SS Sapona, Bimini, Bahamas In Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
pause_P7280098.jpg

A look at some underwater, topside and historical photos of this intriguing wreck along with the colorful lore that goes with this famous wreck in the Western Bahamas.

sapona_P7280195.thumb.jpg

at:

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album504/sapona_P7280195.jpg

thnx.

what exactly is that "contraption" that the young lady in the picture is wearing? and why?

EDIT: I found a link to it in the thread you posted that explained it.....

from your pics from the other thread.

I haven't been to this wreck in over 10 years, but I was amazed at how much the sides have deteriorated since then....

(btw.... I remember jumping off the bow of that ship... it's a lot higher up than I thought it was! :D )

(pic OP posted in linked thread).
Sapona_0_sized.jpg

Thanks! It is amazing how much the stern has vanished. I recall going there as a kid and it was pretty much intact, sheared off of course. There are some real old photos in the writeup within decades of the grounding. Hardly recognize it there is so much to the wreck. I recall a wreck off East End in Cayman out by the barrier reef. They used to serve lunch on the deck of the grounded ship several decades back. Today, no deck to speak of or even superstructure high enough above the water to consider the option. Time sure changes wrecks particularly those in shallow water!

m_8.jpg

Off East Cayman, no deck in sight these days!

Back
Top Bottom