Wreck of the Gratitude from Liverpool in 1866

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This may be old news (?) but I had never heard of it before and I thought that it was very interesting.

Last night I had trouble falling asleep so I started watching an old episode of Antiques Roadshow from Boston in 2013. A woman had brought in a presentation pocket watch for an appraisal. The watch had been given to her Grandfather by Queen Victoria in 1866. The watch and chain were appraised at US $4,000 to $6,000.

Her Grandfather was the First Mate on the Fredonia that was sailing from the Azores to Boston in 1866 when they encountered the ship Gratitude out of Liverpool which was sinking with over 300 passengers onboard. The Freedonia jettisoned its cargo of thousands of crates of oranges and rescued the passengers and crew of the Gratitude. The insurance company refused to pay for the lost cargo so the people of Boston raised money to compensate the owners of the cargo.

Video of the Presentation Pocket Watch Appraisal on PBS Antiques Roadshow:

Written transcript of the Antiques Roadshow appraisal of the pocket watch:
Antiques Roadshow | PBS

Information about the wreck of the Gratitude on Wreckhunter.net:

Cool story, Kathy!

That’s the thing about Bostonians. As long as they’re not behind the wheel of a car they have hearts as big as the great outdoors. But DO NOT try to edge in front of them to get into the lane you need :wink:.

Erik

That’s the thing about Bostonians. As long as they’re not behind the wheel of a car they have hearts as big as the great outdoors. But DO NOT try to edge in front of them to get into the lane you need :wink:.

Erik
You just have to see them without making eye contact. It helps if you're driving a beater.

Back
Top Bottom