Wreck Diving - St. Lawrence Seaway

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you'll like it. Make sure you get more dives in similar environmental conditions first, especially your son. Cold water changes things in a hurry, from breathing, to mobility in a thicker suit, etc. So some colder quarry dives until you're really comfortable and not "ready to quit".

Warm to cold is a big transition every time unless you dive cold a lot. Get used to it and learn to enjoy that it's different than warm water sight seeing, you'll experience much more.

Wholeheartedly agree!

My advice to you is to spend a few sheckels on an Inst. or D.M. who is conversant with these diving conditions. He/she can review your entire kit ( suggestion: go to the hip & buy some personal thermal protection for you & your son - a proper fitting 7 mm worn on surface is a bit confining/uncomfortable, but u/w should be warm & comfortable ) & offer recommendations, they then can take you into open, colder water & do proper buoyancy checks, then review some basic skills with you for the purpose of building your confidence/comfort levels when using cold water equipment. I'd further advise to take this process one step farther & spend a day on the river with a dive professional as your mentor/guide. You will learn a lot, your confidence/comfort levels will exponentially increase, and you'll have... FUN!

I've done exactly this for many folks over the years & the response has always been very positive.

As an added bonus, you'll get to see some amazing shipwrecks!

Regards,
DSD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom