Wreck diving Borneo - Usukan wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valentino

Registered
Reaction score
Dear All,

Just like to inform everyone on the internet on some great wreck diving off the coast of Sabah (Eastern Malaysia).
I am not talking about the wrecks off Labuan, but north of the capital Kota Kinabalu. It is roughly 1,5 hours boat ride from the capital. The wrecks are better known as the 'Usukan wrecks'.

The Usukan wrecks are a number of worthwhile Japanese WWII wrecks of considerable size (150 meters). They all lie near one another on a sandy bottom at 40 meters max, with the top of the wreck at approx 25 meters. Diving Nitrox is advised and is obtainable in KK. The only problem is the weather. The weather has to be fair to be able to venture out to the wrecks. There is no shelter against bad weather. Furthermore, there are no marker buoys. The wrecks will have to be found by GPS and depthmeter.

The last couple of day's I have dived the wrecks. They are in very good condition. Blasts from American torpedoes can easily be recognised. Ammunition, bowls, bottles etc. can still be foud there (please do not take them from the wrecks!). We had a bit of current which caused some updwelling of sediment. Jelly fish was a slight problem during our longer safety stops...

If you would like more information on the wrecks, please let me know.

Regards,

Valentino

I'm interested! when will be the next trip? is there any season to dive? what to expect beside the wreck? How many Wreck are there all together?

Hi Hiddenaughty,

Sorry for the late reply, but I didn't receive an e-mail on your post. Here are some answers to your questions.

You will have to check with Absolute Scuba (info@abscuba.com) about their next trip to the Usukan wrecks. You do have to book in advance so that they can ensure there are enough people for the trip. Furthermore the trip will depend very much on the right weather conditions. From November to February, the winds of the north east monsoon affects diving around the coasts of Sabah. Statistically, the calmest months are April, May and September, with July and August often adversely affected by typhoons east of the Philippines.

There are three wrecks to be visited. All wrecks are too big for a single dive, so normally a day trip will be two dives on one wreck. Besides the wrecks you will see giant groupers, schools of barracudas, red snappers, hard and soft corals. There is plentifull fish. Around the wrecks there are always fishermen (one fisherman caught a Marlin and sold it to us). Thankfully the wrecks are not affected much by the fishing. When I dived here, there were no sharks. This doesn't mean there aren't any!

Regards,

Valentino

Hi,

I work for a Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia based company called Borneo Dream Travel & Tours Sdn Bhd. We offer a wide range of both land and sea based trips, safaris and adventures.

We visit the Usukan Bay Wrecks, World War II Japanese quite often along with a deep one just Pulau Gaya at about 50m. Some links for you to look at:-

A recent trip to the wrecks - News May 2008 - Usukan Bay Wrecks, Panaga Divers, Brunei Sub Aqua Dive Club, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
Our boat: News April 2008 - New dive boat arrives for the Borneo Dream Team

We can run a PRIVATE one off trip just for YOU, as long as you come in a group of four.

We are fully equiped to look after the visiting diver whether they be technical or not. We can supply Nitrox to 100%, Trimix, High pressure oxygen to 220 Bar, Twin sets (2x 80 CuFt. Aluminium cylinders c/w centre isolating valve, bands and brackets) and we also have two APD Evolution Closed Circuit Rebreathers for rent.

We can offer a wide variety of courses PADI, TDI and IANTD - Take a look at our site Borneo Dream Travel & Tours Sdn Bhd - Making your dreams come true in Borneo....

Enjoy, please feel free to ask questions.

Thanks
Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom