Question Wreck diver specialty in Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheizz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
In 2024, I want to dive in Aruba and do the wreck diver specialty there (and perhaps even advanced wreck diver). I want to see the wrecks there and I figure I might as well get certified while I'm there (and enjoy wrecks even more).

Google hits quite a few PADI centers that offer the wreck diving specialty, Pure Diving Aruba also offers the SDI wreck diving specialty.

Question 1: Any reason to pick SDI over PADI (quality-wise)?
Question 2: Any recommendations for dive centers? Or ones that I should avoid?
Question 3: I can't seem to find centers that offer advanced wreck courses. Does anyone know any on Aruba?

Thanks.

There is a thread somewhere here reviewing all dive shops in Aruba.
JADS was the most popular and I dove with them - they were good.
I am sure they offer courses. Palm beach divers were good. Red sails - biggest boats, caters to cruise ship public, they were ok, not sure about courses there.
Pure diving (I just talked to them but did not get a chance to dive with them) seem to be education oriented. They are both SDI and PADI I believe. I was going to do a solo course with them but the timing did not work out. I am sure they would do whatever course you want. I don’t remember seeing any advanced wreck diving sites in there.
German freighter from WWII is over 80 years old and starting to fall apart - only minimal penetration.
Another wreck (don’t remember the name) was used as a target by Dutch navy and all blown in pieces so no penetration.
There are two planes at about 80 feet . You can penetrate those but they are very simple swim throughs.
Basically, I don’t think there were any sites there to do advanced wreck diving…
JADS dives the most advanced sites when they have advanced divers. I would talk to them about what you want. They also were picking up from hotels - I am not sure if they still do.
Good luck and please let us know what you find out in your research and how your diving goes!

For TDI (tech agency affiliated with SDI), Advanced Wreck is a tech class. It’s full penetration, which means you have to have excellent buoyancy in addition to non-silting fin kicks and a host of other skills. You also need experience with doubles/sidemount/CCR. It’s not a class for a recreational diver with a single tank.

I don’t remember your diving background, so I’m sorry if the above doesn’t apply to you. There have been a number of recreational divers asking about Advanced Wreck lately, which is why I mention it.

For TDI (tech agency affiliated with SDI), Advanced Wreck is a tech class. It’s full penetration, which means you have to have excellent buoyancy in addition to non-silting fin kicks and a host of other skills. You also need experience with doubles/sidemount/CCR. It’s not a class for a recreational diver with a single tank.

I don’t remember your diving background, so I’m sorry if the above doesn’t apply to you. There have been a number of recreational divers asking about Advanced Wreck lately, which is why I mention it.
Good point. I am, for the time being, a recreational diver, so 'Advanced Wreck' training will be out of scope then.

my first thought was that the wreck diver recreational course is a waste of time.

so unless you need it as a prerequisite for more advanced training down the road, i would not bother.

finding someone who teaches an advanced wreck course may be difficult. perhaps try going to each agencies web site and see if you are able to search for and instructor or shop that offers it.

the only other thought was that you may want to consider some entry level tech courses if you want to pursue challenging wrecks dives with penetration etc. a foundamentals course for example may get you started on the right path. or even a cavern diver course perhaps.

before deciding on a path, make sure that path will lead you where you want to go.

Wrecks are a fascination of mine, so that's where this path is headed. As I understand it, there are several 'recreational' wreck courses/specialties. Some seem to be more of a drawing class underwater, others include some line work and 'light' penetrations (i.e. swim-throughs with ambient light shining into the spaces).

I am only Advance OW right now. So the path to full wreck penetrations includes at least recreational wreck specialty, tech training and eventually advanced wreck training.

The PADI website only has Adventure Diver (a sub-group of AOW) as a prerequisite for their Wreck Diver specialty, so it's definitely a recreational course. Yet there's talk of learning some line work and the text implies that after completing the course you can 'explore inside wrecks'... Pretty vague still, though.
Schermafbeelding 2023-01-12 om 20.52.24.png

It all depends on the instructor. If the instructor is also a technical wreck diver you stand a better chance at getting a good course.
That drawing class may have more benefits than you know. If it's used to identify entry and exit points, hazards, potential way to ID the wreck, and navigation on it when vis drops.
I taught SDI/TDI and my recreational wreck class was spent showing people why they had no business inside a wreck without tech training. The tech class opened up new avenues of exploration.

I would do it, with SDI. You're probably having a hard time finding an advanced wreck cert inst because they are remote to get, more demanding than basic wreck. Not everyone goes the ADV Wreck route, as it's tech diving. Like others have said, with some orgs., like TDI, even SSI, it's tech diving & I think, you have to be TDI tech first. There are pre-requisites & not every instructor does ADV Wreck. Here, there are penetrations & line laying in the actual ocean for that.

I have the opportunity to do a Deep Dive (40m) + Wreck combo this spring here in the Netherlands. I am looking at TDI Intro to Tech or similar in the fall. Chances are I will have all that once I get to Aruba (probably in 2024 at the earliest).

In 2024, I want to dive in Aruba and do the wreck diver specialty there (and perhaps even advanced wreck diver). I want to see the wrecks there and I figure I might as well get certified while I'm there (and enjoy wrecks even more).

Google hits quite a few PADI centers that offer the wreck diving specialty, Pure Diving Aruba also offers the SDI wreck diving specialty.

Question 1: Any reason to pick SDI over PADI (quality-wise)?
Question 2: Any recommendations for dive centers? Or ones that I should avoid?
Question 3: I can't seem to find centers that offer advanced wreck courses. Does anyone know any on Aruba?

Thanks.
Welcome in Aruba for the advanced wreck diving specialty. Check in and affiliate with Aruba Watersafety Institute so I can cater your needs.
Pure Diving Aruba offers SDI and PADI courses.
Safe flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom