WPB vs. Pompano Beach diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwelling

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be going to Pompano Beach, using Force E as the dive shop. They have a shop with dives departing from WPB area, and a shop in Pompano (which would be closer to the hotel). Are the dives off of Pompano & WPB pretty much the same or would it be worth driving to WPB? thanks

I love the playground around WPB, have seen so many creatures there. Turtles, rays, barracuda, etc all in the area. Pompano has nice wrecks, Captain Dan was my first down there. A little deeper, but worth the trip.

I use the Force-E shop in Boca Raton, and usually dive from the Diversity or the Fish Food. Both very good operations. You can book either through the dive shop.

Well there is that most-dreaded of all possibilities - dive both areas. Force-E is fine at all three of their locations. The boat ops that they use that I like best are Parrot Island in Pompano and Diversity in Riviera Beach (West Palm to you). Both boats are the nearest boats to their respective inlets. Diversity is ok - the Boca store uses them a lot, but there's a long ride just to get to the inlet.

I vote for West Palm. Drift diving is nice there. Pompano didnt seem to have as much life.

Tom Winters:
Well there is that most-dreaded of all possibilities - dive both areas. Force-E is fine at all three of their locations. The boat ops that they use that I like best are Parrot Island in Pompano and Diversity in Riviera Beach (West Palm to you). Both boats are the nearest boats to their respective inlets. Diversity is ok - the Boca store uses them a lot, but there's a long ride just to get to the inlet.

I'll second Tom's advice. Dive both! If you do make it up to WPB ask if you can dive the Mizpah wreck and see how many of the wrecks you can dive before you have to surface. We got 3 out of 4 (5?).

I also use Parrot Island in Pompano (FishFood/Fathoms o Fun). Jerry (owner) is a great guy and runs a fine outfit. We're using him again this May/June.

If it's life you want in Pompano, dive the AquaZoo (Sea Emperer Wreck). Lots of life there (usually). Also, save a few bucks one day and shore dive at Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. You won't be sorry. Our max depth there was about 20' and saw all kinds of creatures of varying sizes. Bottom time over 1 hour!

Have fun,

Mike

Both areas have their advantages as has been said. The reefs are nicer in WPB, the wrecks are better off Pompano. All good diving.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom