WPA certification fulfill EFR requirement for Rescue Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adimi24

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I am part of the outdoors club at my university in Montreal and they are offering a CPR / WFA (Wilderness First Aid) course (20 hours) through Sirius for $250

Course Descriptions and Outlines - Siriusmed

I would like to do my Rescue Diver training soon and am wondering if these two certfications from Sirius will fulfill Padi EFR/CPR or other agencies' first aid/cpr requirements. Do they require it be done through them or any basic FR/CPR cert?

You are fine for Rescue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

From the PADI Instructor Manual:

"Prerequisite Certifications.

You may accept divers with certifications through other training organizations into a PADI course using this general guideline.....

1. ....

6. EFR Primary Care – proof of current CPR training.
7. EFR Secondary Care – proof of current first aid training."

Note: that “current” in this context means within two years.

Bill

Play it safe and e mail PADI, telling them how to check out the course. I did this recently and PADI rejected the course.

What was the course?

found out this past year when doing my rescue that PADI would not accept a commercial heart association CPR course and had to do the EFR course prior to submitting my Rescue paper work.

They where basically the same course except the EFR course went into more depth on need to care and liability as a care giver.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

I certified a Rescue diver a couple of years ago who had the WFA training. It is CPR plus first aid; that is all that is required. No issues with PADI.

checking with PADI is not enough - check with the shop/instructor you are doing Rescue with. It says "may" accept. Once upon a time a friend and I were going to sign up for a Rescue class at a local shop. My friend was an active EMT. That wasn't good enough for them, she had to take their classes, which she could have taught.

(We didn't do Rescue with them and they are long out of business, possibly as a result of general jerkiness that went beyond this...)

checking with PADI is not enough - check with the shop/instructor you are doing Rescue with. It says "may" accept. Once upon a time a friend and I were going to sign up for a Rescue class at a local shop. My friend was an active EMT. That wasn't good enough for them, she had to take their classes, which she could have taught.

(We didn't do Rescue with them and they are long out of business, possibly as a result of general jerkiness that went beyond this...)

What is PADI's feeling toward EMTs or even doctors? Of course I would assume these people have to take first aid/CPR right when they start training. Sounds like this shop may just want to sell their course?

---------- Post added October 30th, 2013 at 05:35 PM ----------

What was the course?

It was ProFirstAid. An online course -- after that they apparently send someone to your area to do the practical. PADI said they couldn't find anything about the practical when they checked their website. I didn't pursue it further. I was attracted to the $36 cost.

Back
Top Bottom