Wow !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That guy should never have dived with a camera. He was so obviously task-loaded even clearing his mask (one-handed!) that he should have just put the camera down. What do you think they learned nothing from this experience?
I don't think he will even realise that he was in serious danger tbh.

Not sure why you'd dive the St Lawrence with no gloves, those zebra mussels are like razors.

The buoy for the Lillie wreck is upstream, and the mooring block is even further upstream. Pulling yourself down that line is a wee bit of effort. Often fishing lures get caught on mooring lines, I like Kevlar palm gloves.

The guide rope from the mooring block to the wreck goes downstream so not sure why you'd pull along it as you're already going with the current at that point.

Standard instructions I've heard to dive this wreck from boat captains are jump in, float on the surface over to Sparrow island shallows, adjust gear as necessary, get negative and pull and glide down the rocks to the wreck and the chain that goes along the side of the wreck.

It's not too challenging when done this way. You avoid working down the mooring line and walking across the bottom in 50ft. And using all that gas.

*Edit* who taught him to clear a mask that way, looking down? And at 6 minutes the SPG hose leaks.

Having done this dive numerous times....and these days with redundant tanks and Kevlar gloves....I remember the first time I did the dive, and how a kind and experienced diver told me to grab a rock to stop a descent if the current took me down, it would have helped those divers so much if they'd had gloves. And other skills.

Last edited:
OMG................have nothing else to add.!!

The mooring buoy for the Lillie is close to the red mark. The current goes from left to right. The wreck itself is just above the capital S in Sparrow Island, in the shadow.

The way I described earlier: the dive boat will shield you from boaters, and can hang a tag line out towards Sparrow Island. Drift on the surface to the island (between the red mark and the word Sparrow) till you can stand on the rocky bottom and get squared away if needed, get negative and away you go.

Many people will continue the drift dive around the point at the top of Sparrow and into the bay in the lee of the current, winding up near the dock.

YMMV
image.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom