Wow, that's a lot of chlorine!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sabbath999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a cyclist, and on my "day off" of the bike I often go to the public indoor pool in a nearby community (I live in the sticks) to do laps (or my horrible ugly slow version of them anyway).

After work last night, I went to the pool. I changed into my trunks, walked in the pool area and WHAM! the chlorine smell about floored me.

I drove a half an hour to get there (did I mention I live in the sticks?) and paid $3.50 to swim, so I went ahead and jumped on in...

There was a parent-baby class going on in one end of the pool, and a water-yoga in another end... and as I was choking and trying not to die from the overpowering chemical smell I was also glad that the chlorine was probably also killing the stuff in all those poopy diapers.

If I ever get rich, I am moving to Kona where I don't need no stinkin pool.

I'm afraid to tell you that the smell of chlorine is in fact the lack of enough chlorine. What you smell is chloramines. I would talk to someone at the pool about it. If they fall to correct, then report it to the health Department.

Chlorine Chemistry Division : Chloramines: Understanding “Pool Smell”

I'm afraid to tell you that the smell of chlorine is in fact the lack of enough chlorine. What you smell is chloramines. I would talk to someone at the pool about it. If they fall to correct, then report it to the health Department.

Chlorine Chemistry Division : Chloramines: Understanding “Pool Smell”

Interesting...

I didn't know that, never having had anything to do with maintaining a pool.

I know they are in the process of getting a new Pool Director (the last on left last week) so I wonder if the maintenance is being done correctly... I will keep a "nose" on it.

I'm afraid to tell you that the smell of chlorine is in fact the lack of enough chlorine. What you smell is chloramines.
That's not always true. I noticed a very heavy chlorine smell in a fitness club spa tub. After a couple minutes, I decided it was way too much chlorine and decided to go tell the front desk that the spa needed to be shut down.

As I'm walking out to the front desk I notice that my previously blue nylon swimsuit is now a natural nylon color. I doubt chloramines are that good at bleaching out dyes. :D

hehehe

my lds got a new pool man and he put so much chlorine in the pool that a diver testing out new gear came out with a brand new bleached grey wetsuit with dark black lines where the bcd was

they have a different pool guy now....

Back
Top Bottom