Wow New tank, Less weights :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tagerisatroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Normally I dive With a Catalina al80 which is about 32lbs empty weight, and i'm about 4lbs from being positive at the surface with my current weight setup. Yesterday I bought Luxfer Al100 which is about 41lbs empty weight. So to adjust for the differnce I pulled ten pounds off my weight belt, and figured the 4lbs extra would make up for any extra bouance the half full tank would have over the al80.

But what suprised me is it wasn't enuff weight, Because I was sank like a lead friking balloon, I don't think i used my power inflator so much since my first open waters, I was honsetly starting to wonder if my bc had failed. Now I didn't have time to really play with my weight setup today, I'm going to go and make an honest effort to get the new tank straight tommorow. But on paper the charteristics should not have been to differnt. But in the water I was really suprised, on the upside it looks like more weight is comming off the belt.

Has anybody else noticed this when they transitioned from a Catalina 80 to Luxfer 100?

Tagerisatroll:
Normally I dive With a Catalina al80 which is about 32lbs empty weight, and i'm about 4lbs from being positive at the surface with my current weight setup. Yesterday I bought Luxfer Al100 which is about 41lbs empty weight. So to adjust for the differnce I pulled ten pounds off my weight belt, and figured the 4lbs extra would make up for any extra bouance the half full tank would have over the al80.

But what suprised me is it wasn't enuff weight, Because I was sank like a lead friking balloon, I don't think i used my power inflator so much since my first open waters, I was honsetly starting to wonder if my bc had failed. Now I didn't have time to really play with my weight setup today, I'm going to go and make an honest effort to get the new tank straight tommorow. But on paper the charteristics should not have been to differnt. But in the water I was really suprised, on the upside it looks like more weight is comming off the belt.

Has anybody else noticed this when they transitioned from a Catalina 80 to Luxfer 100?

Dry weight has little to do with buoyancy. A Lux 100 is less than 3 lbs more negative that an Cat S80.

I'd suggest starting from scratch with the 3300 PSI 100 and check your buoyancy.

Tobin

Finally made it out to the lake to get my weight set with the new tank and the difernce in my weight belt between the catliana and the luxfer was only 12lbs. I was about 9lbs over weight with the last dive I took.

Back
Top Bottom