Would you dive with buddy with no Octo?

Would you dive with buddy with no Octo?

• Yes

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 95 76.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UP,
You might want to consider taking the SDI solo diver course. They will teach you the error of your ways and the magnitude of your misgudgement of the SA. Don't you read Rodale's? I think the idea is that you shoul carry 5 SA's or more on an ammo belt accross the chest!

Yes, I am being sarcastic but...

dmmike once bubbled...
I have to side with the group of people that said NO.

Several questions quickly come to mind, what plan does he have for self resuce, what plan does he have if his buddy has a major gas supply problem, with what group did he get his cert. from, what LDS sold him gear without asking about a back-up, and if he does not care enough to protect/save himself where would I rate if a problem came up.

This type of diver is bad news.

Good choice, you lived to dive another day.

I know both divers in this story. I dive with mr. jmac and had dove with the other individual when he was recently certified OW this June.

The reg. in question was purchased for $50 at a local second-hand store. It was a reg our LDS sells, but an older model (about 4 years old, low mileage - I'm told). He had it checked out by LDS, and it works fine. However, no backup reg. came with it and none has been purchased yet. The diver talks a pretty good game when it comes to gear and would lead you to believe that he has unlimited money when it comes to scubagear, but why he has yet to purchase a backup and has about 6 dives without one, is beyond me.

In my opinion, Joe did the right thing by turning the dive into a snorkling session. No-backup diver does not have enough experience and confidence in skills to handle a situation at depth.
I have dove with this same diver about a week ago, but we were in a 4some with my wife and regular dive buddy - both of whom I'd place a lot more confidence in if something happened.

I quoted dmmike because he was looking at hunting out the agency who certified him or an LDS. Neither are on the hook here Mike - once your certified, you are your own problem. The LDS explained at length that a backup SHOULD ALWAYS be used. But they cannot make you use one. I was certified by the same instructor - I know she drilled in his head to NEVER dive without a backup. People will be people and do what people will do. While this diver is a possible Murphy's or Darwin candidate, its not because he doesn't know anybetter.

SS

Given a whole pile of ideal situations I would, ie, if I and my buddy were experienced and comfortable at sharing a second and the dive was in shallow conditions, and we planning a short dive, etc..... But, my vote was no, for all the obvious reasons.

At my skill level, I would be uncomfortable if my buddy did not have some way of sharing air if we dive below 25 feet or so. I would honestly say to that person that I need to buddy with someone who can share air (not buddy breath). I would pick another buddy or tag along with two other people with Octos.

I'm glad to see this thread because it gave me a chance to think through this situation and know how I should handle it if I ever comes up in the future.

Nope, not because I foresee needing it, but because (like others have stated) it shows that they don't have any interest in adhering to the basic priciples involved.

mike

One of the most difficult things to do is turn around when faced with dissapointing someone. In flying we call it "gethereitis", and it has killed a large number of people who lacked the courage to call the flight.

You did the right thing, and your decision shows you will likely live to be an old diver. To rephrase an old saw, "There are old divers and bold divers, but no old bold divers." As I have read here, the better divers recognize this and anyone can call a dive they are uncomfortable with without having to give an excuse.

The way you converted the situation into a pleasant snorkle shows tack and resourcfulness.

Keep it up and you won't lack for good buddies.

David

But just because i might doesnt mean you should, I have also been known to run out of air at 60 feet. If my buddy has no octopus that puts me in a situation where I am in danger but theoretically my buddy is not as I dive with an octo. It's one of those if your buddy is jumping off a bridge should you questions. If you are asking me if YOU should do it i would say absolutly NOT

In response to Jmac's question, NO!

DSJ has a good point. Remember John Kennedy Jr - insufficient training in Instrument Flying, took off too late to get to his destination in full daylight, lost his horizon, didn't trust the Artificial Horizon and 30 seconds later he and two others are dead.

Never get in over your head whatever you are doing.

I always carry a spare reg in my save a dive kit I would offer to put the octo on or just let them use the entire reg.I have done this a number of times especially with new divers who have not had time to get their gear together yet.

I'm not certified yet, but I wouldn't dive with anyone who doesn't have an alternate reg of any kind.

I won't deliberately do anything to get into an OOA situation, but it does happen. It makes since to at least try to be prepared for OOA situations and not having an alternate of some sort means you aren't prepared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom