Would you dive w/ SCC if you weren't staying there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evilknot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Thanks first for all of you guys help for this relative newbie.

So, the person possibly accompanying me requires a few more amenities, and is not a diver.

What disadvantages does that have (diving but not staying)? Can I still do shore diving?

Thanks!

What amenities? TV/phone? I can watch TV at home for a lot less money.

The disadvantage is that they fill the boats first with people staying at SCC. One way around that is to take a class - that way you're assured a place on the boat and you have your own DM.

Yes, you can rent tanks and do shore diving at SCC.

No... I think they only have cattle boats but diving from one is a personal choice... one I'm not fond of. YMMV

jlyle:
What amenities? TV/phone? I can watch TV at home for a lot less money.

That's a bit insensitive but on the other hand, I can't imagine what goes through the mind of someone that chooses not to dive. :wink:

no way. :shakehead: There are too many really good dive ops on the island to choose from. Yes, the shore diving there is great, but if you aren't staying there, it isn't worth the bag drag, tank/wt rentals, and sometimes rude staff at the dive shop. They do the exact same boat dives as every other dive op, too, so no advange to diving there if you aren't staying there.

Ditto what robint said. Find the place you want to stay, and look over the board at the many dive independent op recommendations. They tend to be very focused on service and quality VS quantity with the hotel op's. (My opinion)

Seano

No, the boats are too slow for my taste, although I think the service is great there. I would be surprised by rude staff but then again we stayed there when we dove with them, which was twice.

Thanks first for all of you guys help for this relative newbie.

So, the person possibly accompanying me requires a few more amenities, and is not a diver.

What disadvantages does that have (diving but not staying)? Can I still do shore diving?

Thanks!

There's really no reason to do that; there are plenty of dive ops at least as good as the one at SCC on Cozumel, and though I don't know for sure, I doubt that they would pick you up at your hotel if you were staying elsewhere. You'd likely have to cab it to SCC every morning to catch the boat; why do that if you can be picked up where you are staying by just about any other op you want to dive with?

Thanks guys! I knew I could get a great answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom