Would you buy a Fantasea housing for your Nikon DSLR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DixieDolphin a couple of thoughts if you like the Fantasea Housing.

I've sold lots of of the FD70N housings with out any major problems, yes a couple of minor ones, but nothing catastrophic that couldn't be repaired. The customers do like their handling, they are much lighter than the Ikes. The D70s is a great camera too.As far as the insurance, I'm not sure what the situation with DEPP (the insurance company) would be; you can contact Fantasea customer service or DEPP and ask.

BUT, I think some of the advice as to housing an old camera is well found. I might suggesting selling the D70 body and buying a D40x or D60, maybe even slightly used. The FD40 Housing is greatly improved over the FD70N and has been quite popular. That way you are housing a new camera.

Jack

Dixie Dolphin:

IMHO, if budget is a big consideration I might start by looking used or housing a P&S. I have no idea what equipment you have (and you may already have this covered, and if so -- never mind!) but there is much more than just a body and housing. IMHO, you really need at least one strobe (two is better) and each strobe needs an arm. And the sync cord. Does the lens fit in the port or will you need to buy a new lens (or a new port)? How important is ttl?

My brother and I co-owned a film SLR housing and strobes. I had a D70 and thought I could get into it for just a new housing (use old arms, ports, strobe and cord). It was a harsh realization that I needed to buy a new sync cord and new strobes (had the Ike 200 and an Ike 50)...

And if I had a D300, I probably wouldn't put it in a housing anyway. I'd rather risk flooding an older camera than a new one!

=)

Whatever you decided to do, be sure to get some flood insurance for the camera and housing. The insurance provides some peace of mind! Good luck!!

Sean

I've used P&S underwater, but really really dislike the operation of them. For me, I'd rather put my money where it will do the most good... instead of spending a ton on some P&S setup I don't like, I'd rather put it towards what I actually want, piece by piece.

I still really have to disagree about buying a newer camera body for a housing, at least in my case. Maybe it's because my camera's first purpose is topside (I do a lot of freelance photo work) and underwater photography is just a hobby right now (with only the occasional side gig). If I were to lose my primary camera to a flooding incident... well... there goes one source of income. So, when the time comes to upgrade, I'd rather keep the newer camera safe & dry. :wink:

I actually tossed around the idea of buying a housing for one of my old 35mm bodies instead, but it seems those are harder to come by when most everyone is buying digital equipment.

Anyway, thanks for the input on the Fantasea housing & it's track record! I'll have to do some more digging before finally settling on one, but there's plenty of time. =)

Fantasea is redesigning from the ground up their DSLR housings and having a different factory produce them. Obviously this was a very, very expensive decision for all concerned. I think it goes a long way to showing their commitment to bringing a lower-cost, but good quality, product to the market. I expect to dive one of the prototypes and have some input. I'd say that their new housings won't reach the market until sometime this summer, but that's a total guess. I do know that they will be a serious upgrade.

Jack

Any news from Fantasea? I'm waiting for the new housing since I read this post :bored2:. I've heard the new FD-80 will be much better (it allows to use internal flash, great for CLS) so I don't want to buy another housing. But I'm going to the red sea in september so...:frustrate

Regards.

Rx.

I actually tossed around the idea of buying a housing for one of my old 35mm bodies instead, but it seems those are harder to come by when most everyone is buying digital equipment.

What are your old 35mm bodies? There are lots of disused 35mm housings around.

No news that I've heard. Lots of other new products in the pipeline, however.
Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom