Would like some opinions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeandre

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,

I'm Jeandre from Durban(South Africa).

I'm currently working at a dive Shop named Calypso Dive and Adventures at Ushaka Marine World.
I'm working towards my instructors and currently finished my Advanced, I'm really keen on getting a computer then hard gear soon.
I'm currently not interested in tec diving at all. Just not that keen to go that deep yet. I don't really have a price range.

I would like to get a wrist computer that will last for a couple of years.
I will be diving multiple times on some days, it will be cool if it can help me calculate getting the best time out of my dives without decompression. I will be diving on nitrox soon. I'm really in to underwater photography if that would effect my options anyhow. I would like to get as much out of my computer as possible knowing that if I dive with it, it adds more safety and reliability.

I would like the SB community to help me with a few suggestions and personal experiences with there own dive computers.

Final question : is there maybe any dive computer coming out soon that I should rather wait for before making my decision?

Thanks

Suunto's have a more conservative algorithm than others so I might shy away from them as it could be awkward to have to call a dive when your students still have time left.

I didn't see any gear listed on your shop's website so what brands do they sell?

If you're working there - i.e. an employee and not just taking classes - you might be able to get a discount also - in the U.S. it's called a Keyman discount and is often offered by manufacturers to shop employees to help promote their gear.

We don't really keep hard gear in stock and computers. Mostly work around doing dive than sales. There's a few Suunto DC and a lot more soft gear. Will most likely order all my hard gear when that comes.

I don't know what the prices are down in .za, here in murkia there's three kinds of computer:

1. Approx. $1000 USD: 'tek' computers with large colour screen, usually with air integration. E.g. $800 pertel2. Or that German wassisname one. They will of course work for 'non-technical' diving and there is an argument for buying the best equipment you can afford up front. In addition, if you factor in the cost of PC uplink, built-in compass, and whatever else's included in the price, it's not that far from 'lite tek' prices.

2. < $200 bargain basement: dive only, air only, don't go below 40m, send back to the factory to replace the battery, use pen and paper to get the dive log off it.

3. $250..400: air+nitrox, gauge mode, user-replaceable battery, PC uplink (usually around $100 extra). E.g. Suunto Zoop. Higher end ones have 'lite tek' features like deco on 100% oxygen, allow dives deeper than rec. limit. E.g. Cressi Giotto. Over here these can be bought at a substantial discount -- the other 2 categories usually don't go on sale. But as I said, at the upper end a $350 Giotto plus $80 PC interface plus $100 compass gets you within 30% of the petrel's $800. (PS: actually, "that German one" is called OSTC Sport and dep. on the exchange rate comes within $50 of the Giotto plus extras.)

Everyone seems to agree that Suunto and Cressi RGBM implementations tend to be conservative on shallow repetitive dives so I'd echo diversteve's comment about calling a dive.

Last edited:
Jeandre

Min dae tot jy n gesertifiseerde instructeur is. Ek will een day miskien met jy Suid Afrika in duik. So lekker daar by Durbs !!!!

Really for a basic nitro capable dive computer you should be able to get something more than capable for around $250 - 300 in the US. I think a Suunto Zoop would be reasonable but as pointed out might be a little too conservative for an instructor. Something like the oceanic veo or geo range ran in the 200-$350 range and would allow you to dive a more or less conservative setting depending on the circumstances.

Tot siens

Craig

Back
Top Bottom