Would a utility stick for mulitple accessories be feasible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to organize my accessories as well as possible and, although I really don't feel that I'm a gear hog, I am feeling increasingly cluttered. I have wondered whether it might be feasible to make something like a utility stick - maybe a 3 ft long rod (e.g., PVC pipe) to which I could attach a back up light, a compass, back up knife, a backup computer that I would otherwise wear on my wrist, and a camera. The stick itself could have a tether attached by a quick clip to a single D-ring on my BCD. I suppose I could even attach a pony bottle if I were to go that route eventually. Anyway, everything would be secure, in clear view, off of my body, and it seems that snags would be more manageable. Has anyone heard of or used anything like this? Does it seem like a good idea...any drawbacks I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
Dave

If you are going for the Christmas Tree look...this should serve you well...:D

I think you need to ask yourself...what do I really need to carry. How could I best stow it? Leg pockets are great.

In order...back-up lights. I store one clipped off to each shoulder d-ring using innertube rings to route them along my harness straps under each arm. Simple, streamlined.

Compass...you only need one...on wrist.

Backup computer...not needed...plan your dive ahead of time. I'd suggest that you use your computer as a secondary back-up to your dive plan...ensuring you are on schedule and as a depth gauge. If it fails...time to start heading for the surface.

Back-up knife...stow in leg pocket (I'd suggest shears in the pocket or an alternate type of cutting device).

I think there are much better alternatives than what you have suggested.

Is this for storage on land or to use diving?

If your going to be diving it, I'd say its a very bad idea. You'll get a lot of drag from it flopping around 'in the breeze', it will get tangled in your legs when you try to kick, and, while it may be easier to undo tangles on the 'stick', you're going to get a lot more than if you were to stow them elsewhere.

Here's some ideas for stowing them:

If you don't need it don't take it. If you don't need the compass or back-up computer, leave it behind. Try to pocket most of it. The light, compass, and computer can go in a pocket. the knife can go on a hose or on a strap. The camera should not be on the 'stick' if you do decide to make one, since you would have to constantly attach and disconnect it. Pony bottles are best used when slung like a stage bottle. They're out of the way and out of the slipstream, and can be passed off.

The DIR people would skin you alive if you did this. In fact the non-DIR people might take issue with it too. While a good idea for organizing gear on the surface, it would creat a great deal of drag and be a big entanglement hazard underwater. It might not be all that convenient either since it would be pretty heavy. Too heavy to hold, and if clipped off on your BC it would pull you off balance. Besides, if you drop it you've just lost your knife, light, safety sausage, computer, camera, pony bottle, etc. all at once.

dlwalke:
I am trying to organize my accessories as well as possible and, although I really don't feel that I'm a gear hog, I am feeling increasingly cluttered. I have wondered whether it might be feasible to make something like a utility stick - maybe a 3 ft long rod (e.g., PVC pipe) to which I could attach a back up light, a compass, back up knife, a backup computer that I would otherwise wear on my wrist, and a camera. The stick itself could have a tether attached by a quick clip to a single D-ring on my BCD. I suppose I could even attach a pony bottle if I were to go that route eventually. Anyway, everything would be secure, in clear view, off of my body, and it seems that snags would be more manageable. Has anyone heard of or used anything like this? Does it seem like a good idea...any drawbacks I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
Dave

If you fashion it into a "ring" (like a hula-hoop) you can drape it around your neck so you won't have to hold onto it. :eyebrow: You are kidding, aren't you? I certainly hope so.

pockets. If you don't like the christmas tree look, get rid of some of the gear. As bwerb stated, backup intertubed to harness from shoulder d-ring. This is a benefit to one piece webbing in a bp/wing setup. Canister light, keeps it simple, doesn't mess up your weight, smb, spool, backup mask, wetnotes, all that extra stuff goes into drysuit pockets beautifully. Look up 5th Dimension and get a couple bellows pockets.

If your bcd is weight integrated, you might consider buying a weight belt and attaching all of your stuff to that. you can even find little pouches for the small stuff at your local military surplus store.

dulldiver:
If your bcd is weight integrated, you might consider buying a weight belt and attaching all of your stuff to that. you can even find little pouches for the small stuff at your local military surplus store.

Don't forget to leave room on your belt for a Bat-a-rang. :wink:

Anyone ever see the Captian Caveman cartoon on the staurday morning cartoons back in the 70's and 80"s? There was this furry little character colled "Captian Caveman". The thing was when somone needed anything, and I mean anything, he could just pull it out of his fur. There comes a point when a diver is approaching the Captian Caveman theory of diving. It is so much easier and more comfortable to figure out what you need and leave the rest in your bag.

Is this a real thread or are you trolling for comments?

dlwalke:
I am trying to organize my accessories as well as possible and, although I really don't feel that I'm a gear hog, I am feeling increasingly cluttered. I have wondered whether it might be feasible to make something like a utility stick - maybe a 3 ft long rod (e.g., PVC pipe) to
which I could attach a back up light, a compass, back up knife, a backup computer that I would otherwise wear on my wrist, and a camera. The stick itself could have a tether attached by a quick clip to a single D-ring on my BCD. I suppose I could even attach a pony bottle if I were to go that route eventually. Anyway, everything would be secure, in clear view, off of my body, and it seems that snags would be more manageable. Has anyone heard of or used anything like this? Does it seem like a good idea...any drawbacks I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
Dave

The draw back is a 3 ft long stick dangling off you.

backup light...clipped to shoulder d-ring and rubber banded born along the shoulder strap. One on each shoulder in fact.

Primary light on right hip

Compass...on left wrist.

I don't usually carry a backup computer/depth gauge but if I did it would go in my thight pocket.

back up knife goes in thigh pocket.

What's the stick for again?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom