Would A Red Uw Filter Be Better For Long Shots Like This That Are Beyond Flash Range?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anenomefishman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
P4246740-adj-small.jpg

the water viz was pretty crappy when i shot this, i noticed that one of our divemasters who was in the same place as me has much clearer vids of the same sharks than my still pics. he has a red filter on his video camera. pic from wolf island, galapagos, ~70ft. olympus xz-1/pt-050 camera.

The answer is generally yes: the red filter saves the automatic white balance if there is still some "red" to save, according the depth.
The filter subtracts a bit of light, so the sensor noise is more noticeable, ant the filter must be of good quality glass, not the cheap plastic.

My experience is that shooting a 20mt with my gopro the results are quite good, at 30m (in the red sea) the poor light cause the noise to be more evident.

The filter is not magic: cannot increase visibility: what is between you and the subject will stay there.
M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom