Worthington LP95, rust on threads!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffde31

Contributor
Reaction score
Just recv'd 2 Worthington LP 95's from Divetank and after taking the tape of the bottle necks I found rust on the threads of both tanks. I am unable to see inside the bottle and tell if there is any other rust. Neither tank had a VIS sticker and the tanks were shipped ground with the valves separate. I thought you ship bottles ground with a small amount of air in the bottles????. Need some advice :06:

And I think it is illegal to ship tanks with air in them. Not totally sure.
I have seen several come in at the LDS and the tank came plugged with no air and the valve was seperate.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
My first step would be to call Divetank, personally...
I caled Divetank and of course they said this is perfectly normal around the thread area. Due to the threading there is no galvanized coating in this area. Unfortunatley, these were floor models, of course I didn't pay the floor model price, It wasn't aware that these were floor models. This is probably the problem with buying sight unseen.

I got lucky with my worthingtons LP85s that I got from Leisure Pro, no rust anywhere and they werent galvanized, but this is the last time Im buying any tanks online.I like to check them out for rust and nicks before I buy my next HP tanks.and on top if I had to get them O2 clean and vip even though on the website they said they were O2 clean but came with no sticker on it, so the money that I saved I ended up spending it .

depending on what level of rust, I have not seen the tanks, it could be normal. it is normal for tanks to be shipped without valves installed. They should be capped/plugged. Sometimes they are plugged with those 'moisture eating' silicone grains. Which is useless.... but anyway. Tanks shipped ground from factory could be going through many states, many temeparure ranges, wet weather etc, etc. The thread is not treated and basically is new steel in earth's environment. There will be a bit of rust (flash rust). If it is not too bad, you can scrape it out with a toothbrush, if a bit more, maybe use a steel brush. If bad, maybe have it cleaned by a pro and use a rust inhibitor. The thing is to get the tanks pressurized ASAP (when I take delivery of tanks, I am at my LDS within 20 mins and install valves and fill up) and never let them run dry again.

But this is me, your/others' views may be different.

"The thing is to get the tanks pressurized ASAP (when I take delivery of tanks, I am at my LDS within 20 mins and install valves and fill up) and never let them run dry again."

I agree with you, the problem is they arrived late Saturday, and my LDS is closed on Sunday so I'm forced to wait:hanged: I do believe a toothbrush will clean the threads. It does look like light surface rust.

Don't worry about hurrying over to the LDS. Chances are the tanks have been valveless for days if not weeks already. A day one way or another in an AC'd building won't hurt (change their condition) them a bit. I would however highly recommend that you have them visually inspected before just sticking on the valves just to be safe!

Did they offer you a plastic plug for a buck? man I would never buy a tank from a opp that shiped in a box with out a plug it keeps out the moisture and junk, I am sure your LDS can fix it after a Vis,
tanks cant be shipped any hoo with gas in them any psi ,
and vis stickers sent with a empty tank from a e-mail tank dealer are worth squatt at any good LDS as any PSI Insp will not fill any tank without PSI in them!
You got a floor unit? sure they were not used-in like used?
good luck dude,
Brad

No plastic plug just clear tape. I had them vis and filled yesterday at LDS, no problems and now they will never be empty again....

Back
Top Bottom