Worthington Lp 108's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

southjerseydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
was curious about how worthington 108's work out single and eventually doubled up together. im about 5'11 and 190 so i dont think the size will be bad just was wondering about everyones experiance with these tanks.

hmmm...

well, i doubled up Faber 108's and they were just on the wrong side of difficult

not undoable, but certainly a chore to handle, set up, and carry in and out of the water

and unfortunately, i didn't really see much of an improvement over my LP 85's mostly because it was a lot more effort to swim with the 108's ... it sort of negated the extra capacity

i'm 5'10'' just shy of 185 lbs

that was my other idea i was looking at the lp 85's or 95"s. i have heard from a few that the 85s work very well paired up

I have a LP Worthington 95cf, 108cf and 121cf....I like the 95 the best - If I could only have one tank that would be it. But for my deeper dives my 121cf overfilled to 3500 psi gives me more air than my buddies using AL80 doubles. I like that!

I've never doubled any of my tanks - that’s what my 121cf is for...but the 108s will be crazy heavy...I could probably fall off the boat with the 108 doubles - climbing back in would hurt a bit. I'm a fit 5'10" 165lbs. No way I could run 121 doubles....the 95cf doubles is what I'd try, they seem to balance the weight/size/benefit ratio best.

My wife is fairly small and she does fine with the 108cf, but can't stand with the 121. She loves the LP 95cf

LP 95's are hard to beat - especially the Faber 95's as they run 6-7 pounds lighter than Worthington or PST. LP 108's are awfully heavy when doubled up.

In the real world, unless all of your team mates have equally large tanks you will never see the benefit of the larger tanks in technical diving as you will adjust your third to match whatever the smallest third in the group happens to be, so all you will be doing it carrying a lot more weight and swimming a lot more mass with no more penetration.

Cant say that I agree with many of the posters in this thread... I have a set of Worthington LP 108's and they are by far my favorite tanks. As far as being to heavy to handle I completly disagree, and Im not just talking about quarry warriors at that. I regulary dive these tanks off shore (NC) and I am 5'10" 190lbs.

I am normaly diving these tanks with a stage and a deco bottle so even with my whole kit, never a problem to swim them....

H2andy- What kind of fins were you using???

Pelsung- an over filled 121 does hold gobs of gas, there is no doubt about that. Ever wonder why some of your "buddies" are diving double sets on those deep dives? Redundancy. You will never get that with your overfilled 121. and for your statment about the 108's being "crazy heavy" dive them doubled up first, then lets hear what you think.

HTH
Austin

Unless you just can't get them filled, I would recommend HP tanks in the 100 to 120CF range over the LP 108, especially if you are going to double them up. Less weight.

I have a set of LP 108's which are over 120 lbs empty on wing no gear, thats heavy to handle, i am 6'5" 245 and i promise you would not like to trip with them on. that being said, rememer the weight you will be taken off you belt and harness because of the weight of them. i perfer weights of gear not on my waist..... oh to prove their weight no one will ever offer to run your tanks up for a fill.

Back
Top Bottom