Worth it or just a $$ making scheme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's a card you want with a minimum of fuss and bother, then PADI AOL is just ticket.

If you want to learn a lot of stuff and really advanced YOURSELF as a diver, might I suggest: NAUI Advanced, LA County Advanced, GUE Fundamentals, or UTD Essentials.

The more I read about GUE, the more I realized it is how I want to dive. Unforturnity, even GUE fundamental will require me to re-purchase most of my current diving equipment, such as reg, harness, light ... Is there a similar quality class that does not strictly require DIR gear setup?

Thal, I did NAUI Advanced and in fact got only a card--minimal instruction; no materials. In no way was it anywhere near as demanding as, for example, Fundies. Did you mean to say NAUI Master Diver?
Yes I did, thanks for catching that.

The value is most definitely instructor-dependent.

In my AOW course, at a minimum, we have to complete 5 dives, but I try to get students to do a 25 dive program that takes advantage of more dives for greater training also giving students night, deep, wreck, rescue, and nitrox specialties.

If a student just wants the 5 dive AOW course, I try to maximize the amount of training.

Dive #1 is a skills evaluation dive in which I also try to teach trim, buoyancy, and propulsion techniques such as the frog kick, modified frog kick, modified flutter kick, helicopter turns and backward kicks. Students learn the benefit of diving a Hogarthian/DIR rig and how the long hose works for air-sharing. We also cover buddy-breathing and removal and replacement of the scuba rig while neutral staying off the bottom. If time allows, we'll repeat these exercises in a second dive to further proficiency. We also learn to properly deploy liftbags and DSMB's as a building block for further work in search & recovery.

Dive #2 is a visual navigation dive in which we will practice both pilotage and the use of a primary reel and guideline. I also use this dive to benchmark the student's SAC or RMV rate during normal swimming, while tasked, and while placed in a stress situation. This stress situation is normally a no mask touch contact air share using the guideline. Guidelines are very useful and learning the correct techniques from an instructor with cave training means you can't go wrong. I have students run line keeping their exact depth at 30 feet to reinforce awareness and buoyancy skills. This becomes the building block for being aware of MOD during nitrox diving. The no mask air-sharing skill is simply a confidence booster. We again practice deploying a bag or DSMB. Team, trim, and propulsion are improved.

Dive #3 is a navigation dive in which we will work on improving navigation skills. I've discovered that compass work is often rushed in too many AOW programs trying to teach a student to do complex patterns when students can't swim a straight line with precision. We increase the precision as we site see finding smaller targets over greater distances until the student can swim a course from mooring line to mooring line in blue water maintaining depth and direction on his or her own. At the same time, we learn better buddy team skills, propulsion and awareness. Again, more DSMB practice.

Dive #4 is a deep dive combined with search and recovery. On this dive, we descend to 100 feet and the student will navigate a series of waypoints taking us to different sunken attractions. At some point during the dive, I will ask the student, Question. Where is ... (some object)? We'll run a search pattern corresponding to the size of the object and the bottom features and bring the object up while controlling the object and running a series of pretend decompression stops since it is required in PDIC AOW standards. Team, buoyancy, trim and propulsion is improved.

Dive #5 is a night dive. When possible, I try to add the element of limited visibility to the night dive as well. We learn to perform a night dive from a cave diver's point of view relative to light communication, team light referencing and light failures. Team, buoyancy, propulsion and other skills from the class become part of the challenge of the dive culminating with an out of air ascent and a swimming safety stop while air-sharing and navigating in mid-water at night back to a return point. Proper gas management for deeper recreational diving and planning is stressed.

The technical training and experience I've had allows me to take advanced recreational training to a higher level and I draw on those strengths to deliver more bang for the buck. When considering an AOW course, ask yourself what your goals are for the course, the environments in which you will be diving, how aggressive or tame you want the course to be, and what approach you think you'd want your instructor to take. Then, find the instructor who will best cater to your needs.

While the above course is the way I usually go to promote local diving, continued specialty training that will allow me to increase the level of difficulty, or foster an interest in technical diving, I've also modified the way I teach to meet the needs of students. I've had what I call "Ken & Barbie" divers who only want to dive in warm water on vacation in AOW courses and I've scaled the course back a bit to work on the skills that will help them get a greater level of enjoyment from their diving. I've also gone the other way and had students tell me to take the gloves off and throw all I can at them in a 25 dive program with lots of task-loading.

Independent instructors often make the best AOW instructors because the class is often a labor of love rather than just another revenue-generator. Taking private AOW classes is another way to go. You and your instructor can work together with a class customized especially for you. I'm not saying that all dive center sponsored AOW courses lack quality and value. Not all indie instructors are good either. The more personalized the attention, the greater the training of your instructor, and the more you are willing to do for class the value can become priceless.

Last edited:
What makes you a better diver is experience.

Hopefully, what AOW gives you a chance is to get some of that experience, but in a supervised enviroment with the benefit of constructive feedback.

I would like to go through it, but I only want to if I am going to learn something that will make me a better/safer diver. If its worth it, are the other classes?

AOW is a function of

1.) what you make of it
2.) instructor quality/approach

As with any instruction, AOW will not MAKE you a better diver, but approached correctly it will teach you some things (skills, mindset, etc) that will allow you to BECOME a better diver. Making the connection between the two is up to you!

I did my AOW on Maui as logged dives #5 through #9 way back when. My thinking was a bit similar to yours: I was a new diver that knew I still had some learning to do. I talked to a few shops/instructors there and found a guy who I was comfortable with, who's philosophy - like mine at the time and even more-so now - was that AOW is not "advanced" but rather "OW-Part Two" and there is really no reason whatsoever that it cannot be taken the very next day after receiving your temporary OW c-card.

Also, I was travelling with my non-diving wife and kids, so had no buddy with me and was pretty sure I didn't want to deal with an instabuddy at that stage of my dive experience. It didn't hurt that the cost for the course was cheaper than signing up for 5 dives and paying for a private DM on even two of them.

Possibly got lucky too, as the instructor I had was very experienced, caring, a good local "guide" and just plain fun. Spent lots of time pre-dive doing knowledge reviews, really going through the concepts, talking about the dive, planning, etc. Then - unlike many AOW classes - he actually taught me the skills, helped me refine them, tweaked existing skills, etc. Many resort AOW's are sort of cursory versions of "monkey see, monkey do" and move on to next dive.

Not sure if this helps you at all, but I guess what I'm saying is that you need to think through what you want, set YOUR OWN expectations, and then find and instructor who you feel will meet them. I certainly wouldn't just sign up with a shop "sight unseen" and hope for the best.

Enjoy - Ray

Had to be done to get further education, but otherwise total waste of money atleast on my case

Worth it? No.
Just a $$ making scheme? Yes.
Should you probably still take it? Yes.

You might be lucky and be located in a place where better courses from other organizations are given, or with a PADI dive centre that teaches above the minimum requirements (in my experience rare). Then you should definately take it. But I took the course with the anticipation of five expensive dives and no learning, and I was not "disappointed". This was only ten dives after the OWD course. However it was the card I wanted, not the course.

Any serious dive operator will require AOWD or something similar from another organization to allow you to dive to 30m/99f and visit many of the best sites (wall/drift/etc). So unless you are planning to always dive on your own with friends, it is a card you will want at some point. AOWD is also an requirement before the Rescue course which you mentioned you were interested in taking later.

So why not take it as early as possible when you might be lucky and learn something from it. And if not, at least you get five dives in a short period of time which is always nice for beginners.

(Answers are based on PADI experience.)

Look at AOW as OW2 class instead. It gives you bit more knowledge and bit more experience in supervised fashion. It is a stepping stone towards the rest. You can use some of those dives towards specialties that you will need to go forward. Some of the specialties are good, some are only so-so.

So yes it is worth it as a stepping stone towards your future diving. It opens possibilities (many operators require AOW for deeper dives) beyond OW.

It was a fun class. I enjoyed attempting the navigation course. Search and recovery was a fun thing to learn about. I'm glad I learned the proper way to use a lift bag so I don't go trying to lift something someday and having it rocket to the surface turn over and come down looking for my head.

It is also a class along the way to other things. Ice class was a lot of fun and you can't do that without advanced. It also qualifies you for rescue. I'm taking that now. Based on the book, rescue appears to round out what really should have been taught in OW. I think it will be a good course.

If you are inclined to take the class, go for it and have a nice weekend of diving and a shiny new card.

I didn't want to take the class. However, my wife who is my buddy felt uneasy about going deeper than 60 ft. After 25 dives or so, it became obvious that doing AOW would be a useful transition for her to become more comfortable under different conditions. When all was said and done, our AOW experience was worth it 1) because the deep dive with an instructor made my wife feel much more at ease and 2) we got the AOW cards which carry more weight, if only just a bit, than the OW cert cards. The UW navigation dive did not teach me how to navigate; practice and more practice did that. The fish ID dive did not teach me how to ID fish; practice and more practice did that. The Peak Performance Buoyancy dive DID teach some skills to help with buoyancy control, but practice and more practice of those skills on other dives actually is what accounts for our better buoyancy control. So, no, the average AOW is probably not really worth it and, yes, it is a $$ making scheme, but there are tidbits of merit to it (much moreso if you are in an unrushed learning environment with a knowledgeable, patient instructor) that you may find of personal value and therefore, you may decide it is worth your while to take the course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom