Worth buying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

racerx_

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Been slowly purchasing my own gear and regs are about the last thing I need. I've seen some good deals here and there but just got to wondering if its worth it for me to buy regulators or not.

I live in Singapore, so there's not really any local diving. I can squeeze dive trips in maybe 3 or 4 times a year. It seems regs should be serviced once a year (not sure how sticky this rule is or if there's a minimum number of dives you put on it before each service). If that's the case seems like it might be more cost effective to rent. What do you guys think?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Some have a two service interval. But when you say dive trips can I ask how many dives you'll do on those trips? If only 2 or 3 dives each time I'd rent. But if they are going to be 10 dives or more per trip then I'd consider buying.

Yeah just depends. Most of the time I'm fitting dives around work travel so average 3-5dives a trip I guess?

Yeah thinking maybe I'm a rental guy for now.. just that tyeres those placed where if you've got your own stuff you just pay $5-10 for a tank and jump in so that's tempting ha

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Sounds like renting might be more advantageous for you... the major advantage to owning is you know the service history of the equipment you are using and (likely) tuned to your specifications. you don't mention where you travel to and what kind of diving you do... and there are a few places I would be wary of renting from (Cuba for one), in that case you could rent before you leave.

Otherwise If your are set on buying would recommend a very simple inexpensive regulator (like the Aqualung Calypso, MK2 & R295, Cressi AC2/SX2) these are inexpensive and simple piston regulators, not much to go wrong, very few wear parts, and even the most inept tech could fix them relatively easily if needed. If you don't service them every year it likely won't be the end of the world, same goes if they lost or stolen.

Happy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom