Worst dive day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, 50 minutes. Nobody around to help I assume. I was in what must've been an odd rip current in SPI, TX. Weird because it was right by the jetty. No forward progress toward shore possible and pretty jagged rocks formed the jetty. Finally managed to haul myself onto them. As several people watched.
I was with two other buddies of mine, so we kept company to each other...
The current was strong because it's a tight passage between 2 bommies.
Here: https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws...m.au/cups/unidive/images/UniDivePLEA_Flat.jpg

I took three buddies out for a wreck dive in flat, blue water. We had a great first dive and decided to hit another shipwreck on the way in. While we were down the surface turned to Victory At Sea. While beating our way back toward the harbor my anchor latch broke, sending my anchor and thirty feet of chain under the boat and into the props. My insurance company totaled the boat. In one day I went from diving shipwrecks to climbing up and down cliffs to make a shore dive.

Admikar . . .:(

Mine is a 50/50 comment. Half bad, not all bad. Two weekends ago, we dove in water significantly colder than ever before. Surface was 68, second thermocline went to 57. We weren't unprepared but we were under prepared. By the middle of the second dive, some of the group were feeling the affects. Three thumbed their dive. The youngest and I buddied up and did 20 more minutes. Bad part is we had a short second dive and lost a third dive, while wanting to spend time with a newly certified nephew. Not all bad part is that we all got to learn a bit about 'even more' thermal protection and how the cold affects us.

Dive 143, June 2010. My wife and two others were swept away by a current while I was getting my camera from the boat. Waited at the anchor as agreed after crawling on the rocks to get there. When she didn't show I retuned to the boat. It was a long hour until they were found by a fishing boat, bouncing in six foot seas about a mile offshore from Saba. I think she handled it better than I did.

The funny side of the cooin... When we got back to the room the next day CNN as doing a promo for a story about divers being swept away. Different divers, different ocean. But the expression on her face was priceless.

First dive trip after certification. Was diving the Sherman, an old steamer sunk sometime around the 1880's lying 10 miles off shore of Little River, SC in 50 feet of water. I was in the process of shopping for my own equipment but only had my own mask, fins, and boots at the time so had to rent everything else from the Dive Op. Everything fit okay except I had trouble finding a weight belt that was long enough. Finally found an old one that would reach around me but it was actually much too long. I had no other choice but to use it.

Second dive of the day, I had been on the bottom for around 20 minutes, fanning the sand around the wreck looking for artifacts. Suddenly, I felt the weight belt slipping off my waist. Somehow, it had come unbuckled. I don't know if I had not gotten it locked in properly, it had accidentally caught on something, or the buckle was just too worn to lock in properly. All I do know is that as the last bit of it slipped off my waist, I was able to grab the end of it and I found myself hanging fins straight up towards the surface with the rest of me wanting to follow and me hyperventilating like crazy. After a few seconds, I was able to calm myself and get my breathing under control. I got the weight belt back around me, but due to it being so long, every time I started trying to get it back into the buckle, the weights would drop from my waist and my feet would start upward again. I looked around and naturally, my insta-buddy was nowhere to be found and there were no other divers in sight. The only thing I could do was hold the belt around my waist with both hands and go to the surface. I was not able to see the console computer I was using so the only thing I could do was ascend slowing by watching my smallest bubbles. I came up about 20 yards in front of the boat and had to swim to it. When I got to the boat I was able to hand the weight belt to the captain to free my hands.

Fortunately, I suffered no ill effects from the adventure. Just a crash course in emergency management, I suppose.

By far my worst dive so far: searching for a drowned kid.

Something similar.
I was asked to do the recovery of my best friends kid 6mo after he drowned. A group of divers found a body in the vicinity of where he went missing. I was able to positively id him with the clothing that was holding what was left together still.
I had to burn all my gear because I couldn't get the smell out of it. And still pretty anxious about diving 6mo later.

Something similar.
I was asked to do the recovery of my best friends kid 6mo after he drowned. A group of divers found a body in the vicinity of where he went missing. I was able to positively id him with the clothing that was holding what was left together still.
I had to burn all my gear because I couldn't get the smell out of it. And still pretty anxious about diving 6mo later.
Maybe off topic, but I was reading something like that a couple of weeks ago about the effect stress after the recovery of bodies underwater
An example of that is the guy that actually took to the surface the bodies of David Shaw and Deon Dryer in the Busham's cave: after that, he couldn't dive for years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom