World's Best First Aid kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about a means to protect yourself, such as latex or nitrile gloves? I even carry a few pair in my personal vehicle, because I hate to put myself in a position of wanting to render care but not having a means to protect myself against bloodborne pathogens.

On that note, a CPR mask (those little thingies that seal against the patient's nose/mouth; you blow into the end) would be a good idea. Some masks even have an O2 inlet, so you can plug up some O2 tubing into it.

SAM splints rock! And, yes, you can actually cut them into smaller bits, with a sharp pair of trauma shears. You can use them from anything from finger fractures, to stabilizing joints or long bone fractures.

Ultimately, the "worlds best first aid" kit is really going to depend on your location, the availability of EMS, and the type of diving you're going to do.

You might seriously look into purchasing an AED. They are a wee bit expensive, but require a minimum of training, and can be truly lifesaving if needed.

I'd also caution you to avoid purchasing items that you don't have the training or certifications to use. I've met many an EMT-Basic who had an entire ALS kit in the trunk of their personal car. If they had chosen to use any of that gear, they'd be guilty of a few infractions. So, no IV needles, IV fluids, injectable medications, invasive airway equipment, or the like. Even things like bag/valve/masks, while seemingly simple in operation, takes a few tricks to work right.

Hope this helps!

Then I guess my suture kit is off limits, too?:wink:

I also carry a BP cuff and stethoscope, digital thermometer, and a few hemostats.

I've been using a home-build first aid kit for years on my boat.
Besides the obvious, band aids and lot of them, this is what I keep:
butterfly closures
gauze
tape
vetwrap
bandages of all sorts and sizes, some with adhesive and most without
peroxide (not alcohol which can actually damage healthy cells)
iodine
Benadryl
latex free rubber Gloves
First Aid book
Scissors (for cutting away clothing and cutting tape)
I have recently added ammonia for stings, although this isn't that important (never heard of using vinegar)
I keep it all in this:
Sportsmen Utility Dry boxes and ATV dry box by MTM

Remember, first aid is just that. Keeping the victim alive and preventing his condition form deteriorating while real help arrives.

& this route isn't cheap either. It costs me around $30 a year to update and replace stuff. Probably over $100 to put it all together in the first place. Bandages are very expensive.

On the contrary, I know an instructor that carries a suture kit when he's traveling internationally. It's for himself--since some sketchy locations may reuse needles, he'll ask the doctor to stitch him up using his own kit.

There are many different types of first aid kits depending on who you are and where you carry it. Individual divers on a trip should have their own personal first aid kits but they should be small (mine is a 4x4 tupperware container) and contain only the items they personally need. If your kit is too big then everyone is going to come to you and "borrow" your stuff, and it will be a pain making sure you haven't run out of anything and making sure nothing's expired.

Keep a list of everything in your kit and how many of each item should be there, and take inventory of the kit before every trip. Note expiration dates during this inventory. This also came in handy for me recently because I lost my diving first aid kit on my last trip. I was able to quickly reassemble the items in it (90% from my spare supplies at home) because I had that list. Taking inventory also keeps you familiar with what you're carrying--once or twice I could have used something (minor) that I was carrying in my kit but forgot was there, and didn't bother to look for it.

On an organized, remote trip I think there should be one person (an instructor or team-appointed "medical officer") who supplies a kit with communal items. At the very least this should be O2 and a spare individual kit but it will probably contain more based on medical training and EMS response time.

If you make your own kit, mark it with a red cross so it's easy for someone to find if they have to rummage through your bag for it in an emergency. White gaffer's tape and a red sharpie work really well for this. Another option is red electrical tape, but it won't be as obvious without a white background.

Duct tape it made it possible for me to do a second dive after a moray shredded my left index finger in Grand Cayman.Didn't want to miss the second dive.

Ouch!.....and Double-Ouch!!:scared: I had no idea those things will tear you up like that.

On the contrary, I know an instructor that carries a suture kit when he's traveling internationally. It's for himself--since some sketchy locations may reuse needles, he'll ask the doctor to stitch him up using his own kit.

My wife is a physician so we carry a kit that includes sutures, anaesthetic and other goodies for those times and places like divestoclimb talked about....those sketchy areas. This reasoning make it sensible to carry IV kits and other advanced items as well. You may not be qualified to use them but someone in your group may be.

On her travels through Africa many years ago she carried quite a few IV kits with her. By trips end she was empty handed as they were all used by others in her travel group when they had to visit ER's on that continent. New sterile needles were unavailable at hospitals there in those days. If you can get your hands on things like this add them to the kit when travelling abroad.

How about a means to protect yourself, such as latex or nitrile gloves? I even carry a few pair in my personal vehicle, because I hate to put myself in a position of wanting to render care but not having a means to protect myself against bloodborne pathogens.

On that note, a CPR mask (those little thingies that seal against the patient's nose/mouth; you blow into the end) would be a good idea. Some masks even have an O2 inlet, so you can plug up some O2 tubing into it.

SAM splints rock! And, yes, you can actually cut them into smaller bits, with a sharp pair of trauma shears. You can use them from anything from finger fractures, to stabilizing joints or long bone fractures.

Ultimately, the "worlds best first aid" kit is really going to depend on your location, the availability of EMS, and the type of diving you're going to do.

You might seriously look into purchasing an AED. They are a wee bit expensive, but require a minimum of training, and can be truly lifesaving if needed.

I'd also caution you to avoid purchasing items that you don't have the training or certifications to use. I've met many an EMT-Basic who had an entire ALS kit in the trunk of their personal car. If they had chosen to use any of that gear, they'd be guilty of a few infractions. So, no IV needles, IV fluids, injectable medications, invasive airway equipment, or the like. Even things like bag/valve/masks, while seemingly simple in operation, takes a few tricks to work right.

Hope this helps!

Huh, well I will admit I have no experience with SAM splints since I've never actually used one. :) my employer frowns on us using them instead of cardboard splints unless we have to since they're a lot more expensive and cardboard's always worked for me. That's pretty cool though that you can use them for any size of fracture.

I don't know why I didn't think of it but protective latex gloves should be the first thing anyone puts in their first aid kit. An AED, I dunno...those things are still like $500-800. :/ but yeah if you have one, definitely might make the difference. Every diver should have a pocket CPR mask, and if they're rescue certified, they probably already do.

I'm amazed that EMTs would carry around ALS supplies. Even once I'm a certified and licensed paramedic, I'm not going to carry around ALS supplies. All it takes is getting caught once practicing without a license (which is what you're doing if you do ALS procedures without being under the guidance of a medical director) to lose said license.

I also carry a BP cuff and stethoscope, digital thermometer, and a few hemostats.

Huh, another thing I didn't think of...digital thermometer would be an awesome (and cheap) addition!

My wife is a physician so we carry a kit that includes sutures, anaesthetic and other goodies for those times and places like divestoclimb talked about....those sketchy areas. This reasoning make it sensible to carry IV kits and other advanced items as well. You may not be qualified to use them but someone in your group may be.

On her travels through Africa many years ago she carried quite a few IV kits with her. By trips end she was empty handed as they were all used by others in her travel group when they had to visit ER's on that continent. New sterile needles were unavailable at hospitals there in those days. If you can get your hands on things like this add them to the kit when travelling abroad.

...so yeah, screw the risk of practicing without a license, if I go to another country I'm bringing all my own supplies if they reuse needles. Gah, screw that. Hell, for that matter I'll bring a few liters of normal saline with me and maybe some epinephrine.

A lil this, and a lil of that. Thank goodness for Pelican cases.

331925703_rUYzj-L.jpg

331926494_mKX8z-L.jpg

331927645_jzYEv-L.jpg

I once used the case for transporting my photography gear while traveling to and from the Middle East when working in Iraq. It sat empty in the closet for a while, so I thought no better way to put it to use than to make it a ALS and trauma kit to keep in the dive trailer. To make it more easier to locate in the case I have to send someone after it, I placed reflective Star Of Life stickers on it.

I'm sure there will be those that question the rights and wrongs to carry items off duty. Here is my take on things. I'll let the bean counters count their beans, the desk jockeys push their pens, but at the end of the day, right or wrong, this Paramedic - perhaps your next dive buddy will do, and use what ever resources I have available to provide prompt medical care if needed to try to save a life.

I can get a job anywhere in life, but being able to put my head on the pillow at night and sleep with a clean conscious is priceless. So, if it means cashing in nearly 20 years of health care experience and having to pump gas into my dive buddy's car as a gas attendant, at least I can hopefully look into their eyes and ask "so when we going diving again?"

Helping your neighbor - it's what life is all about!

Kenny

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom